Afr Heads Help

Woody is one of the best engine builders around but expect it to take a few months to build. He will build you a fantastic engine but again, he uses only quality parts. That is the problem with these cars, they are black holes that you can easily throw $20000 at
Yup, after I read his post and before I read yours, I thought "oh well, there goes 20 grand".

Just remember these things.
The stock fuel system will only support low 500's to the wheels. That's $2000
The t5 will only support 350rwhp with traction, There's $3000 (at a minimum)
The suspension and brakes will barely even support a stock 5.0's torque.
An S trim won't go much further than you have already. Not sure the going rate these days on a T, but i'm sure it's not cheap.

It's a slippery slope.
One minute you are building a $6000 shortblock, the next you are dumping quadruple what the car is worth into it.

Not sure if you said yet, what do you have for brakes, trans and suspension?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Yup, after I read his post and before I read yours, I thought "oh well, there goes 20 grand".

An S trim won't go much further than you have already. Not sure the going rate these days on a T, but i'm sure it's not cheap.

It's a slippery slope.
One minute you are building a $6000 shortblock, the next you are dumping quadruple what the car is worth into it.

No sure if you said yet, what do you have for brakes, trans and suspension?

:chin
Should hammer that onto the post out front.

Reactions: 1 user

It's a slippery slope.

No sure if you said yet, what do you have for brakes, trans and

It's a slippery slope.

No sure if you said yet, what do you have for brakes, trans and suspension?
fuel system has already been completely upgraded to handle what I'm going to do,it's more than what I need now so I'm good there.my t-5 is a champ with the 500 wheel I have now but I'll replace when it comes time. I've done a little suspension but no brakes so I know that needs upgrading. I'm sure I can get 750hp with my current blower and pulley change etc. and correct motor setup. I've only had the car for 7 months and it was completely stock and one owner when I got it. Already put 19k in it but it's a car I plan on having for a very long time. Stock gt40 motor and heads makes right at 6 hundred horse and i know with what I'm putting together I'll be at 800 for sure. I've got a plan and I'll execute it and have the baddest fox around not that it isn't now of course:) lots of people seem like they're trying to talk me out of certain things but what I'm trying to achieve isn't that hard and isn't going to cost another 20 grand. As far as what this car is worth that doesn't concern me its the car of my dreams and I'm not building it to sell but to have what I've always wanted.

They beat me to recommending driving the motor you have and doing a build right the first time. If you fog and seal the stock motor, you should have a good back up in case the dart fails.
That's my plan with another car I have. But it is hard not to upgrade the (ported iron) heads on my Mustang when that is the restriction point with the other supportive parts in place.

They beat me to recommending driving the motor you have and doing a build right the first time. If you fog and seal the stock motor, you should have a good back up in case the dart fails.
If that Dart fails then I'm definitely doing something wrong. I found a brand new Boss 302 block on Craigslist for $1400 so i might go that route. I'll definitely be sealing this motor up and putting it away for Hard Times if I have to. Motor I have now has been outstanding at handling the power it has and I have absolutely no complaints with it. I just want that bigger number like so many before me and I can't get the thought out of my head

Reactions: 1 user
Dude! Slow down. Get it going and enjoy what you have!

You have soooo faaarrrr to go. Before dropping $6k into a shortblock, do the brakes, do the suspension, build the rear diff and 35 spline axles, do the fuel system (doubtful you have the fuel system together yet 1000+ HP pump, 80+ lbs/hr injectors, ), get a standalone and a way to tune it. Do the transmission.

By then, if you're still in this game after the 3+ years and $10k+ to get through with all of that, then move forward and drop the 6+ on the shortblock.

Why?
1. You'll get to enjoy what you already have.
2. You'll get some experience under your belt to make the best decisions.
3. You're already making awesome power, and you'll be addressing the things that will bring the most enjoyment.
4. You can't use more than you're making without addressing the trans, suspension, and tire anyway. Even then, more than 600 is useless
5. If the statistics hold, by comparison to all the others that come here with your excitement, you will not actually get to that point. In that case, you've saved the most expensive part.

The power you're already making makes for an amazingly fun street car. For God's sake, don't ruin your chance to enjoy it! I own the car you're talking about building. Talk to the others who have, too. I'm back on the road again, but I cost myself too much enjoyment, not to mention the time and money to get here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users