After 20+ years sitting outside, restoration has started with fuel

John Birone

15 Year Member
Nov 19, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Car last ran 4 years ago, and spent the majority of the last 20 years stored outside in Georgia. My friend who drove it last said the fuel pump died. I dropped the tank today and found this. Everything inside is rusted out. Not unexpected, but now I'm guessing the hard fuel lines are shot as well. Agree, or worth it to test/inspect? I had already ordered the rubber lines to replace those, but if I need to replace hard lines, what is the best kit and source? I can return the rubber lines I bought from LMR for their kit, unless there is a better option... Should I also worry about the injectors? Anything else with the fuel system to replace or check?

• Sponsors (?)

Need to finish setting up my profile! 87 LX Mustang SSV police car. Engine bored 0.030 over but mechanically stock other than that, converted to mass air with Ford EEC and wiring harness, shorty headers into off-road H-pipe and Flowmasters, Tremec 3550 with Pro 5.0 short-throw, aluminum drive shaft, "new" 3rd member with 3.73's, poly bushings throughout, poly engine mounts, KYB shocks/struts, Ford lowering springs, Lakewood uppers and lowers out back, and that rusted fuel pump was a 155 lph unit. I quoted new because all of this work was completed 20 years ago. Then I moved and put it in storage. I've been busy for a while! Now I want to make it my daily driver, at least when it's too cold or wet to ride my Softail. Hard fuel lines look fine on the outside, but so did the fuel tank!

Already ordered new tank, hangar, pump, sending unit, rubber fuel lines, fuel neck kit, basically everything at the rear of the car plus the hoses from the hard lines to and from the fuel rails. Should I also replace the hard lines? Or is there a chance they're okay? Don't want to blow rust into the injectors, though they may be shot as well. Stock, old and sitting for a couple of decades.

Just upload your pics to something like imgur.com for free, then when you click on the pic in your album on that website it will show you a BB Code link (for message boards) and it will have a link that starts with "[img ]" and then has "[/ img]" at the end of it and paste all that without the quote marks and no spaces into here and your pic will show up.

Yeah this new E10 can be corrosive under some conditions. I stored my car 10 years with 100% gas and the tank was spotless. If I store my lawnmower with a carb bowl full of e10 I need to run it through the ultrasonic in the spring

20221008_152700.jpg
20221008_152311_remastered-jpg.702707

Attachments

• 20221008_152311_remastered.jpg
    20221008_152311_remastered.jpg
    751.2 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Yep. Gotta love ethanol! Hoping the hard fuel lines fared better. Is there any way to replace the rubber line from the fuel filter to hard line? I have all the other soft lines, but can't find that one. Is it only available with the fuel tank to engine hard line kit for $230 at LMR?