Progress Thread After 40 years...

TuFun

Females affect them in a very negative way O_o
5 Year Member
Jan 9, 2019
California
Had the RS for 40 years so freshening up with some new and upgraded parts!

The water pump was leaking so in the process one bolt broke near the block requiring me to remove the timing cover. Extracted the bolt with the weld the nut method.
A new timing cover and timing chain was installed along with a new water pump, fuel pump, fuel line, and oil sensor.

Upgrade with a new aluminum radiator.

Upgrade to a new 3G alternator running underdrive pulleys at idle yielded 14.52 volts. Check!

Replacement power steering pump installed, next will be new rack and lines along with lower control arms.

IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0395.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Do you still have the AC parts for it??
Yes although it's 40 years old. The compressor hasn't been used in 25 yrs and leaching lines. I just removed them recently, surprising how long the clutch still works. After two weeks of 100+, it's time to upgrade those too. I have the condensers capped off for now.
Screenshot 2022-07-20 111156.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Pulled out my driver-side window regulator since it was stuck. Rust did it's thing to the crank part. So the rod spins but the gear slips.

What's interesting is in Australia they have the repair kits, but not in America.

IMG_0397.JPG
IMG_0398.JPG
WRK2003.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Seems to be all kinds of power window regulator parts, but no manual ones. No problem if you have a Ford pick-up. May have to steal one crank mechanism from those.

While I wait for some parts to arrive here's a little history of my RS.

Package kit that came with a new Capri that kept safe for 40 yrs!
IMG_0402.JPG

Everything that came in the kit.

82 Capri RS Documents.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Since no one makes replacement manual window regulators and has to rely on junkyard parts which are not cheap, I've decided to rebuild the original.

Cleaned the rust and had some black STEEL-IT paint laying around so shot some coats. Pressed in a new sleeve for the gear.

Ready install the new gear/shaft kit replacing the old (dark) one.

Regulator 1.jpg

Like brand new... good for another 40 years! Well at least in my lifetime anyways. ;)

Reguator 2.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
My smog check results on a 41 yrs old stock unmolested 5.0 with 370k miles. Parts replaced 2 to 4 yrs ago were a new carb, smog pump, and EGR valve.

Green is my California smog check result.

Smog Check 2023.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users