aftermarket auto shifter options. what fits and is cool?

jerry S

Sep 3, 2003
52.22N 5.12E
I like the looks of the B&M Hammer and the Megashifter but I want something that fits in the same place on the console as the current shifter. These seem to be "floor mounts." I do not understand where on the floor I would be putting such a shifter in my 69 Mach I. There are console mounts but these seem to be limited to mustangs other than my 1969. Can somebody tell me what my options are for an aftermarket shifter?

• Sponsors (?)

I had a B&M Megashifter in my 66 before my 6 speed swap. It mounts to the floor using four bolt and nuts. You have to drill holes in the floor. Then the cable goes from the shifter, through a hole in the floor, down to the trans. I didn't use mine in conjunction with a stock console, but I believe others have. Sorry I couldn't be more help

I've got the B&M Megashifter in my 69 console car. I had to remove the center section of the console, got a scrap one from a junkyard since I had to cut it up to make room for the plastic surround that covers the base of the shifter. (Couldn't see destroying a perfect OEM center section.) It took a bit of fiberglass work to get the shifter to look like it belonged there.

69 302/351c said:
I've got the B&M Megashifter in my 69 console car. I had to remove the center section of the console, got a scrap one from a junkyard since I had to cut it up to make room for the plastic surround that covers the base of the shifter. (Couldn't see destroying a perfect OEM center section.) It took a bit of fiberglass work to get the shifter to look like it belonged there.

So it is simply a matter of cutting the console some. I can live with that. How much did you have to cut out to make it fit?

Ive seen those Lokar shifters that look pretty cool, kind of look like stick shifters. Dont really know about fitment though,just giving you an idea. the unimatic shifter from B&M(I think), also looks like a stick shift.