Aftermarket headlights: Pros and Cons

Red50Fox

May 6, 2019
Massachusetts
Does anyone have (and yes, I know what I'm asking) an opinion on aftermarket headlights for an 88 GT? I'd like to know if there are any decent ones out there or should I stay away from them. I'm not trying to start a feud just trying to get some opinions on sticking with stock or changing up the lighting a bit.

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

I think you will definitely get a lot of varying opinions on what looks good. 3 piece vs. 1 piece. Smoked vs. stock. Etc etc etc. That’s all personal preference.

Hopefully with your post you’ll get some views on what ones are good quality. Many many reviews talk about condensation, the need to seal them up, etc. I know they are on my “long list” of upgrades, and I’d be interested in hearing which brands have some longevity behind them.

But if the feud should start, I vote 3 pc, possibly a light smoke color. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Our headlights are bad enough as is. I'd love to have modern, bright, turn night to day headlights. So I'm gonna go with none that have smoke color....Sorry rdub6. That's my only input. Oh one more thing. When I do replace mine I always run a thin layer of silicone around where the clear lens meets the solid back.

Our headlights are bad enough as is. I'd love to have modern, bright, turn night to day headlights. So I'm gonna go with none that have smoke color....Sorry rdub6. That's my only input. Oh one more thing. When I do replace mine I always run a thin layer of silicone around where the clear lens meets the solid back.

I hear you about the night into day thing for sure. If it was my daily, no way would I go smoke. Back when I was 20 and had my first 86, I put those stupid black tinted covers over my four eyes. Looked cool, but couldn’t see worth a :poo:.
Nowadays, my Foxbody rarely sees the night, and the smoke may go nice with my black/ red combo.

They all suck though. I don't drive in the rain, but just washing my car caused these to fox up a tiny bit. I've seen the 6-peice from a few vendors and am convinced they are all made by the same supplier since they have the same "Don't touch this" yellow sticker on the top

Some NOS headlight parts do pop up

Last edited:
When I bought the vert project, the headlights were yellowed so bad I don't know how any light would've gotten through. Since it was meant to be a project for the wife and I, I let her choose the parts for it. She chose the wheels that are on it as well as the headlights. I don't mind the look of these one pieces that much, but the seals ARE crap in them. The car has basically been sitting since I bought it and when we divorced she let it sit outside uncovered. The passenger side has probably 1/4"-1/2" of water sitting inside of it. But these are what she chose, you can see them on the car in my sig.

Now since I got the car back I've started squirreling parts away. I come across a Craigslist ad from a guy over on Corral who was liquidating his Fox parts. Among other things he had was a brand new 3 piece set which he sold to me for a VERY good price. I haven't taken them out of the box yet, but if memory serves these are basically what they are. I think they might be a little better looking than the one piece, but time will tell....

Now with all of that being said, buy what you like - it's your car, make it yours!! :)

I bought the Steeda three piece set and truthfully, they look pretty, but don't plan on seeing at night. The socket that the bulb goes into is angled wrong, making adjusting them properly impossible. These seem to be the typical ones with the yellow do not remove sticker on them. They now reside on the spare parts shelf. Picked up a few stock headlights from the scrapyard, bleached, sanded and clear coated them. I can now see at night.

My wife picked mine. I like them but I do wish I had the three piece just to be stock. Im not liking all the negative comments on my lights
IMG-5418.JPG

Got mine from lmr,three pcs.black backed,projectors.projectors not worth a :poo:,after the one year warrantee they leaked and inside ones turned yellow. I buffed an out and got this h.i.d.... kit . Amazon kit like 60 bucks,supper bright at night

You guys have no idea how glad I am that I have a 4-eye.

I am a verified hater of Aero-Nose after-market headlights... Period and Dot.

When the Aero-Nose first came out, I loved it. I was soooooooooo relieved that they didn't 'screw up' the Fox Body with something that looked stupid.

Then the after-market 'crap'... [years] of it. :mg:

The first set of after-market headlights to come out that didn't totally suck were the "Diamond Clear" 3-piece. Then, the newness of those wore off and the smoked headlights were all the rage.

After that the posts about "How I wished I'd kept all my OEM stuff". LoL

I lost a perfectly good 1986 OEM hood for no damned good reason :nonono:

Anyway... Any of you yahoos still thinking about swapping OEM lights out for some other 'yuk'... Keep your originals even though you can now get mad money for them.