Aftermarket headlights: Pros and Cons

• Sponsors (?)

I bought the clear six piece lights from LMR about 2 years ago. They have held up great on my car that spends most of its time sitting outside in the elements. No issues with fogging. Still look like they did 2 years ago.

20181110_104300.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I forgot I still have pics from when I swapped the busted up nose for the new one. I did the headlights and all that at the same time. The headlights weren't as yellowed as I remember, but now that I see the pic I remember that the one light had some broken mounts. The one thing I can say that I don't like about the one piece is the outer lights and how they look like a satellite dish....

27024633026_944ec2cdb8_c.jpg

26963287842_70409d70af_c.jpg

Now, having said and shared all that, I miss my 4 eye!! I ended up selling it when I moved, not out of necessity or anything but just because I had a lot to move from Iowa to Atlanta. I regret it all the time!! I found out it ended up in a salvage yard. I bought the 87 to kind of take it's place. Both were meant to be projects for the wife and I, but I prefer the 4 eye to the aero mainly because you don't see nearly as many of them anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Wait - what?!?!?! $1200?!?!?!?! Seriously?!?!?!

That guy's been shopping those lights around at that price for well over a year.

I have 5 of the 6 lights new and NOS, and think I paid around $300 for those 5 lights in sealed Ford boxes.

So... I didn't really see anyone talking about high quality replacement lights. I am original owner of 1987 GT and have replaced my headlights more than once, but have yet to find any I could recommend. The replacements I found were just very poor quality. The once on there now look fine, but are poor at directing the light at night. You almost can't tell the lights are on due to fact that the light fans out and is not directed in front!

Still looking for good quality - either one piece or three piece.

Short of NOS lights...quality reproductions may not exist. A lot of vendors resell the same yellow stickered "don't touch this" probably made by one source.

Some guys have done custom projectors with oem type hid projectors in clear housings, but that's probably not the scope of this thread.

That is insane!! You can buy a parts car for that price - hell, you can buy a project car for that price!!! Unless someone's looking to do a concours restoration I can't see paying that kind of money for a set of headlights, at least not for a Mustang. Maybe if it was a Bugatti or something......

I have no dog here in this one. Smoked lights lol. Leds In then you can kind of see at night
3315D19D-FA70-4EF5-A4E6-FFA8D7A083E4.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
dayumn! That's nuts!

I get the appeal of the 1 piece. You can align them for functionality, and they look right. With my cars, when I aim my 3-piece lights the way I want them, they don't sit flush with each other. They still look better, though. I would consider removing, but keeping, the 3-piece in lieu of some 1-piece LEDs for brightness at night. I have too much other s@#$ to mess with for now, though.

Look into the relatively short distances that LED are able to project vs. a halogen.

You could have an LED emitter that is twice as bright as a halogen but will only illuminate for half the distance.

They're not a good headlight IMO. If you ever have the opportunity, check them out side-by-side. Photographs do not really do them justice particularly, when it's digital and the image sensor is limited to just a few million colors.

They are wonderful at blinding oncoming drivers at short range tho :shrug:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
My vert had aftermarket headlights. They looked great bust did not cast light worth a crap. Since I wanted to be able to see where I was going at night, I put stock headlights back in.