Aftermarket Steering Shaft

• Sponsors (?)

I went with the one from Maximum Motorsports.

As far as header clearance goes, I'm not 100% sure, because I had it installed in the shop when it was in for other steering work, but the piece I got from MM was top quality - you could definitely tell just by holding it in your hands that it was worth the $230+ shipped.

Unfortunately, I have yet to see how well it works because my rack needs to be replaced too and I've been pretty broke. :(

I believe that MM claims it has the most header clearance out of all aftermarket pieces, but you'd have to check their website.

This is the piece I got.

MMST-12.jpg

www.maximummotorsports.com

Good luck :)

Dammit! You guys need to post that stuff in your signatures when you need stuff! I just threw away a used but functional steering rack a week ago. It could have been yours.

:( :( :(

That's okay - I appreciate your offer just the same as if you had given me one - it's the thought that counts. :)

Thanks sex man Daggar!

Who else makes aftermarket steering shafts anyway? I wasn't aware of anyone besides MM, but I'm sure Steeda and such has their hands in it too, huh?

I know that Summit has a couple variations as does lots of other companies. I just don't know which ones have the steepest angles after install to clear large headers etc. They all seem fond of making note of how the rag joint is done away with but it's not the rag joint that's in the way. It's the universal joints that are touching my pretty new jet coated exhaust tubes.

the mm shaft looks to have an identical shape the the flaming river shaft in my car. It rubs my long tubes on the rounded side. I haven't got around to it yet but I was going to put it into a lathe and turn the shaft down in that area to eliminate the rubbing. Mine doesn't interfer too much so taking a few 1000th's off souldn't have any effect on the integrity of the part.

So yours is rubbing on the shaft itself... not on the knuckle of universal?

That brings me to another question. Are the locations of the universal joints on these aftermarket pieces different between brand and the stock piece? What I mean is... do the knuckles end up in the same location as the knuckles on the stock shaft?

The description for this one makes me think it might be what I'm looking for. Who's to say if the description is a good tell of that actual piece though.

FR_1504_P_LRG.gif

This high performance shaft kit utilizes two smooth, needle bearing universal joints, a prefabricated shaft to bolt directly into the column and weldless intermediate shaft for easy installation. This long-wearing design eliminates the rag joint for better steering response, streamlined appearance and improved header clearance. The overall length is 13 inches. An absolute must when using large tube headers. An absolute must when using large tube headers. Additional DD shaft can be ordered for applications requiring longer length. This can be used with our manual rack or the factory power to eliminate the rag joint and improve steering response!

Holy crap... that's a heck of a thing, the way that's slipping through the tube like that. My headers hug cloer to the block and I'm just trying to get it as far to the outside as I can.

I'm running the 1 3/4 Bassani shorties. During install, I had about an 1/8th to a 1/16th of clearance between the tube and the steering shaft knuckle. When the shaft is turn "just right" it barely touches the exhaust tube. If the knuckles are significantly smaller on the after market pieces, then any of them would be good to go. If the after market pieces move the knuckle location up or down or further away from the center of the car, I'll be good to go. I don't need much room... just a little more than I have (ain't that always the way it is?).