Aftermarket Steering Wheel With Stock Dish?

GT1966

Sep 26, 2002
Maine
I have been running a "Shelby"-type wheel in my '66 GT for years with a hub extension. Still, when I compare this aftermarket steering wheel to the stock premium "wood-rim" (plastic) wheel, there is more knee room with the stock wheel. Yes, I'm 6'2" and clutching requires keeping my knee against the door panel. Are there any aftermarket steering wheels that have the same dish as stock?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a Grant wood rim wheel in my '68 and for me it works. However I know what you mean about leg room. I wish my seat was lower and farther back and I'm only 5"-10"

SV400868.jpg

Thanks. I'd really like to find a wheel with similar dish to the stock rimblow premium "wood grain" wheel. My LaCarra (sp) is a nice wood wheel; just not enough dish. I guess I could send-off my original and have it restored. Who is the main player in that space these days? CT

I agree that stock Mustangs lack in the leg room department for manual trans cars. In your case, I'd look into an aftermarket tilt-style column. If you simply got more dish, then the wheel will be in your chest and a smaller wheel obscures the gauges. Just a thought.