AGR steering racks

foxbodybill89

Jan 19, 2020
Sioux Falls, SD
Has anyone had any recent experiences with AGR? I know they are flaky at best from reading several other reviews and forums but some of the stories are a few years old also. Some people are seemingly lucky to get a good rack from them. I have a Motorcraft reman 04 Cobra steering rack on order with Summit for my Fox but it keeps getting pushed back a couple weeks, I'm starting to suspect they can't actually get one. It really seems the only sure way is to get an AGR Cobra rack but I'm not putting that kind of money down for a big maybe.

• Sponsors (?)

I've had one for at least 20 years. No issues.
I run a 12:1 (which they do not make anymore) rack.
Like any other rack that has been remanufactured and or modified, they have their failure rates.

I'd buy one again, just not in a 12:1.
It's a little too fast and light for 500rwhp.
When the car was a daily driver and much less powerful, i loved it.

Has anyone had any recent experiences with AGR? I know they are flaky at best from reading several other reviews and forums but some of the stories are a few years old also. Some people are seemingly lucky to get a good rack from them. I have a Motorcraft reman 04 Cobra steering rack on order with Summit for my Fox but it keeps getting pushed back a couple weeks, I'm starting to suspect they can't actually get one. It really seems the only sure way is to get an AGR Cobra rack but I'm not putting that kind of money down for a big maybe.

Any thoughts on going with the GT/Mach 1 rack (SPR-ZK) instead of the Cobra (SPR-ZM)? Like you, I fear I am a little too late to the party to get a reman Cobra rack. My plan has been to just get the GT/Mach 1 rack instead. I am wondering if I would even notice the difference between racks, especially considering I had been driving with a 100k mile fox rack and 30 year old rag joint. I know AGR does Cobra spec racks but like some of the other replies...I have been scared away by some less than stellar feedback. Just some food for thought.

I put an AGR rack on my car back in the mid-2000s, I don't remember the exact year. My car had 13k miles on it at the time and I was very unhappy with the lack of solid on-center feeling from the factory setup. I called them up at AGR and spoke with with one of their sales techs about the options for building a low lash rack. I placed an order with him directly and I've been very happy with the rack. No issues with it, and it came painted silver with polyurethane rack bushings which was a plus. I paired it up with Ford Racing cobra R outer tie rod ends and new Ford Racing D A-arms as well. (The FR outer tie rod ends just look like old 1970s tie rod ends with grease fittings and a high temp rubber cap, not really that special.) It was an incremental improvement in steering feel, but I wasn't completely satisfied until I installed the solid steering shaft. Now it's pretty tight and responsive.

But getting back to the rack itself, I've read those same mixed reviews as well and I think it might be luck of the draw. If you have any reservations but can't get a solid date on your other re-man option, give them a call and see how the discussion goes. I'm not a big fan of most after-market or re-manufactured parts for a lot of reasons, but sometimes it seems like these companies give the better stuff to direct purchases as opposed what they sell through distributors. Also, if you talk to them in person it gives you chance to let them know how picky you are, like me, and hopefully they'll be more likely to get you exactly what you want. Beyond that, it's a coin toss. Good luck!

P.S. I don't know about Foxs, but the power steering lines on the SN95s use a Teflon seal on the fittings. There are two difference sizes for the feed and return lines. You need a special bullet nosed tool to stretch the seal over the threads without damaging it. Soaking them in hot water first helps to soften them up, then you let it sit for some time and it will shrink back down before you tighten down the fitting. There are a number of ways to get them on without the special tool, but I nabbed both sizes of the tool in brass at NAPA for around $10. It looks kind of like a riffle slug with a cap portion drilled out on the big end to cover over the threads on the fitting.