Air bag light & Fog lights

DoubleStack

Oct 10, 2011
I took my 91 in to have it’s hood painted, and now that I’ve got it back the air bag light has been flashing a 6 code. Also, my fog lights wont work on their own. They work fine with the headlights though. I’ve done a search, and found some info on clock springs, and air bag diagnostic monitors. I have a feeling it’s the diagnostic monitor because my horn and cruz control still work. Am I wrong? The fuses under the dash are good too go.

Does anybody know how I might tell if the body shop took parts from my 5.0 that would cause these problems. Basically, is there something they could have swiped that would make my fog lights only work with the headlights? I found in reading that the older model 5.0's weren’t able to run straight fog lights from the factory. Could they have swapped something out? Same go’s for the air bag light.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, from the factory, the fog lights only come on after headlights are on. It's this way up to 1999. So unless you modified the wiring, this is how it should be.

As for airbag code 6...usually clock spring. Didnthe shop remove the hood or bumper?

Hi- The fog lights must have been wired different by the previous owner because for me as long as I’ve had the marker lights on the fog lights would work without the headlights engaged all the way. I like driving with just my fog lights on at night around the city, so I’m kinda bummed.

As far as the air bag light- yes, the shop pulled the hood. I don’t think they did anything with the bumper. I asked them about the air bag light, and they said they didn’t do anything that would have messed with anything to do with the air bag or censors. Why do you ask?

Ok so you think it’s the clock spring even though the horn and cruz work? I thought that was the determining factor.

Thanks for the reply. Great profile pic, and sig under your name. Funny as hell.

The fog lights were made so they come on only with the headlights. You can change that, with a relay and some other wiring. It was just done to mine a couple of years ago. I also think that the fog lights were only to be used on low beam, but with the other wiring, you can do both. What got me onto this was where the fog light switch is located, it was always getting hot there. Once I pulled out the switch, you could see that the plug was starting to melt. The mechanic cut the plug off, installed the relay, cut the wire that went to the foglights, and ran it thru the relay. Works slick. I should of taken a pic of it when I had the headlight switch out. If you want, I could take a pic of that, so you can see how it is wired. The switch comes out real easy with the use of a small flat bladed screwdriver.:)