air conditioning "clicking sound...

98stangv8

Oct 3, 2003
fayetteville, nc
please give some help here...this is on my 2003 EXPLORER..not my mustang...and ford doesn't have a clue (go figure), so I am hoping someone here can help. Whenever the AC is on...driving, sitting still, etc...there is a "clicking, grinding" sound that comes from behind the steering wheel....it is very intermittent..comes and goes...ANY IDEAS??

thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

I've heard that before on a 2002 gt.. never did find out what it was since it happened so rarely. Seemed to like to do it at drive-thrus. :shrug:

Same clicking/grinding sound, and it stopped when we turned off the AC.

I don know the A/C compressor clicks as is engages and disengages while in use.

Pop your hood and run the defroster and watch the compressor kick on and off and see if it's the same sound

there is absolutely no timing to it...it usually happens after the a/c has been on for a while....sometimes it will click really fast, right after another...and once in a while it will just do it a few times....it seems to be happening more....and I can only take it to ford...since it is under warranty....

See if the noise is coming from the compressor. There is a clutch assembly on the front of the compressor that sill make the noises you describe if it is going out or if the spacing on it is wrong. The good thing is that it can be replaced without pulling the compressor.