Air management Valve issues

oldscool

Aug 5, 2018
Florida
I noticed that my "Air management valve" separated where the diaphragm and gasket are contained. It looks like it was held together with tabs crimp to the upper piece. It took me awhile just to figure out what this part even was and I haven't been able to find one online (ford F6ZW-9F491-DA). I tried to push the two pieces back together but the diaphragm and gasket fell out. After reinserting them the part it would not seat perfectly. Would this device not being sealed properly cause performance issues - the car just started driving like crap - noticale power loss at low end and sputtering at full open throttle. I also notice what sounds like valve clacking noise during acceleration - sounds like an old V8 suburban and sounds different (respy?) when I push the clutch in during shifts. The only part even resembling this device was $200 on ebay but it was for a V6 and not a 96 Mustang cobra. Anyone familiar with this part and how it might be repaired or removed altogether and if it s causing the drive-ability issues I am having, it would be great to hear from you. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If your refering to the secondary air injection diverter valve then no. I possibly need one of these myself....It sounds like you have some other serious problems going on. The diverter valve provides enrichment air to the cats when the car is first started to get the cats working faster. The diverter valve is vacuum controled by a vacuum switch which is controled by the ECM. And supplied air by an electric air pump. I just replaced a failed vacuum switch. Cleared the code for a week and it came back. 0411. You can "turn off" the secondary air system with a tuner. And clear the code. But causing the drivablity problems yor describing? I cant see how. My 97 runs fine with it disconnected-just throws a code. It will cause the car to fail an emmisions inspection...
However, if the diverter valve completly came apart, then you could have an opening to the exhaust system, but you would hear that immediatly. It would make a lot of noise. The emmissions manual gives a proceedure for checking the valve...it calls for a plugging the tube going to the exhaust manifolds when its disconnected from the diverter valve for testing. So you dont have exhaust blowing up at you when running the car. I guess that could cause some drivability issues but I cant imagine it would be that sevear. Maybe post a picture of what your calling an air management valve?