Air & Oil Seperator/Catch Can

NastyStang113

Sep 12, 2008
Florida
Anyone have one on their car? Anyone have experience with them? Any advice? Any product advice? I'm going to be putting a GT500 OEM supercharger on my car soon so I'd like to do an air/oil separator. I've looked and haven't really found too much. I was thinking about the Morosso set-up and use some braided lines that are capable of handling oil, fuel, coolant, etc. I figure I can mount it on my driver's side strut tower next to the line lock solenoid so it'll be a straight shot from the motor.

What do you guys think? Any advice would be appreciated. Pictures would be good, too. :nice::nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I'm using the TVS kit, minus the actual blower unit, to mount the blower unit plus everything else like injectors, intercooler, and so on. Since it's the same blower for both the GT500 and GT minus some machining it'll be basically the same unit and will bolt up.

An air/oil separator or even catch can is said to be a good idea since it's going to pull oil blow by out of the motor. Forced induction cars generally produce more blow by as well. It's not going to be an expensive mod so if it doesn't work than it won't be a big loss. I've seen some pictures from write-ups and they are catching quite a bit of blow by so it seems like it works.

Mine's a Moroso can. I custom fab'd an aluminum Z bracket that is welded to the base of the can and then bolted through the base of the CAI housing. It's connected with SS braided lines. You can see the can in the following pics just to the left of my line lock solenoids.

GlassHood.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

Attachments

• GlassHood.jpg
    GlassHood.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 137
An air/oil separator or even catch can is said to be a good idea since it's going to pull oil blow by out of the motor. Forced induction cars generally produce more blow by as well. It's not going to be an expensive mod so if it doesn't work than it won't be a big loss. I've seen some pictures from write-ups and they are catching quite a bit of blow by so it seems like it works.

Sorry I meant where. From this I take it on the crankcase vent? I wasn't sure how bad the the vent issues were on this car.
Dan

Do you find it helps? Where did you pick up the Moroso can? Also, what size is the tubing? Thanks a bunch Klaw.

I bought the Moroso can through Mopac Performance parts. The can has -12 fittings and an internal coalescing pad. Theoretically, it keeps at least some of the blow-by oil mist out of the induction system and therefore likely leads to less fouling (better efficiency) of the intercooler heat exchanger.

I have a N/A set up, but found alot of oil buildup in the throttle body.

So I removed the drivers side crankcase vent tube, that leads directly into the intake manifold, and plugged the manifold side, and stuck a small crome air filter on the valve cover port. Thus the drivers side vents blowby out through the air filter. The passenger side, I cut the tube between the PCV valve and the throttle body and inserted a simple water seperator in the line. It was a low cost way of keeping oil from gumming/building up the throttle body, and totally stoped oil from entering the intake manifold, thus lowering the air/fuel mix octane.:nice:

Sorry I dont have any photos, and this fix is NOT emissions legal.:nono:

Attachments

• sltstang.JPG
    sltstang.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Oil-Sep%20006.jpg
    Oil-Sep%20006.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Oil-Sep%20007.jpg
    Oil-Sep%20007.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 128
replacing the vent tube with a filter works, but it could also barf oil all over your valve covers. The best would be a separator or catch can that lead down to a tap in the oil pan. I just wouldn't want to have to empty the damn thing once a week...
Dan

replacing the vent tube with a filter works, but it could also barf oil all over your valve covers. The best would be a separator or catch can that lead down to a tap in the oil pan. I just wouldn't want to have to empty the damn thing once a week...
Dan

i have breathers on both sides, i used to have a catch can for the driver's side. i like the breathers better, but get some blow by on the passenger side valve cover, none on the driver side. i'm gonna add a oil cap breather to see if it helps relieve the pressure going out to the valve cover on the passenger side.