aligning shelby fiberglass front end?

65fastback2+2

Aug 4, 2003
Louisville, KY
aligning shelby fiberglass front end? (Pictures Added)

I can get the top of the headlight buckets to match the top of the fender, and I can get the bottom of the clip to match the fenders, but about 9 o clock on the headlight bucket, it just doesnt quite match the fenders, any ideas???

• Sponsors (?)

Every fiberglass piece for classic mustangs that Ive seen has needed work to fit, very seldom do they bolt up, fit and look right. Some filler and a bunch of sandpaper is probably a good place to start.

TT670 said:
Every fiberglass piece for classic mustangs that Ive seen has needed work to fit, very seldom do they bolt up, fit and look right. Some filler and a bunch of sandpaper is probably a good place to start.

its just like at that part of the headlight buckets its a 1/8" too wide on both sides....i thought about sanding it down, but i dunno if that might mess something up....i thought about filling in the gap then sanding it all down to match the lines, but figured with paint that would look like crap too

You'd be money ahead by far to simply sell your car stock and sell the 'glass stuff on ebay. I did the Shelby front end on my car and can promise you it's far too much of a headache to do in hopes of getting a few extra bucks for your coupe.

zookeeper said:
You'd be money ahead by far to simply sell your car stock and sell the 'glass stuff on ebay. I did the Shelby front end on my car and can promise you it's far too much of a headache to do in hopes of getting a few extra bucks for your coupe.

except the reason the fiberglass is on the front end is cuz of a slight front end wreck which bent up all the stock :D

If you've already got the small headlights, extended bumper brackets, nose support, center lights and wiring done as well as the hood fitting correctly, you're home free. I had to do major surgery to my shelby nose just to get it to bolt up to the car. If you don't have all the shelby stuff yet, just buy stock stuff and save yourself the headache.

I'm in the same boat! Everything on the front end of my 68 coupe is trashed including the hood. And I love the look of the 67 shelby hood and nose. And I plan on doing the work my self. Let me know what you come up with.

TT670 said:

Yep, you throw in fiberglass plus the fact that these things were mass produced and you will need to work at getting a fit that is close.

But the hard work is worth it!

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

I was just wondering how did you bolt it on and who made your nose it looks like mine maier racing.what you really should do I think is inbetween the fender and the nose is apply some sort of filler then sand it so it matches the fenders so it will be even around the nose. then youhave to slightly bend and sand and so on so it will correctly match

shelbe67 said:
I was just wondering how did you bolt it on and who made your nose it looks like mine maier racing.what you really should do I think is inbetween the fender and the nose is apply some sort of filler then sand it so it matches the fenders so it will be even around the nose. then youhave to slightly bend and sand and so on so it will correctly match

i got it all from johns mustang. i thought about doing what you said, im just afraid to mess it up when its so close to just fitting perfectly.