ALL GT owners TSB 05-15-8 and 3V-V8

tomustang said:
I've heard it's very rare but you'd heard a rod knock before you hear that tick comming one of the heads, unless you'r using a thicker oil.

I don't want to derail a 3v head topic, as this is a Mustang forum, but I was curious because many 4v heads produced around the 2001 / 2002 time frame had an odd tick in the heads (mine included). It goes away when warm, which is what was described in this TSB. I've never heard of any rod knock preceeding this issue, and in most cases these 4v heads do it from day 1, right off the factory floor. As with the noise some 3v heads are making, Ford has been claiming it's normal and not to worry.

I actually talked to a former Romeo engine plant employee at the Woodward dream cruise this year (which was awesome, btw) who said he thought it might be related to the tensioners for the chains that drive the over head cams. Anyway, just curious about the 3v head tick as I thought it might be related. Thanks for the feedback!

• Sponsors (?)

the 4v heads need to run two types of oil weights, one lighter for the valvetrain. I don't know why ford chose that but it's not possible to really do. it has to sacrifice to run one weight and that would lead to the tick in the valvetrain.

that could also be the problem with the 3v's. I checked the specs/strengths in the heads but i know the 4v's valvetrain is very strong and can take alot abuse.

3v tick noise

I don't want to start a war, but let me give you the full back ground on the 3v and 4v noises. First, the hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA) are not the last to get oil in the heads, but are the first and the cams second. The HLA's are in a galley in the head casting, kind of like the lifters in a pushrod engine. The followers (rockers) are lubricated off of the cam. I have torn down and repaired over a hundred 2v and 4v engines and a few 3v's. The noise from the 3v's can be the HLA's or the cam phaser (VCT). Noise from the HLA's will usually be present at all rpms whereas the phaser noise will go away after 1200-1500 rpm and will be loudest after the engine warms up. The noise from the 4v's is usually related to the exhaust valve guides. This is caused by guide clearance and won't usually cause a problem. Ford says the left head is usually the one affected as it gets less coolant flow than the right and causes the guides to get hotter. A revised head has been released to cure this problem (revised coolant passage). Finally, the oil weight was changed by Ford not for better lubrication or to prevent noise, but to increse corporate avereage fuel economy (CAFE). Hope this helps. If your engine seems excessively noisy, by all means have your dealer check it out. The noise may be normal, but at least you will know. Sorry for the long post.

Ford Tech said:
I don't want to start a war, but let me give you the full back ground on the 3v and 4v noises. First, the hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA) are not the last to get oil in the heads, but are the first and the cams second. The HLA's are in a galley in the head casting, kind of like the lifters in a pushrod engine. The followers (rockers) are lubricated off of the cam. I have torn down and repaired over a hundred 2v and 4v engines and a few 3v's. The noise from the 3v's can be the HLA's or the cam phaser (VCT). Noise from the HLA's will usually be present at all rpms whereas the phaser noise will go away after 1200-1500 rpm and will be loudest after the engine warms up. The noise from the 4v's is usually related to the exhaust valve guides. This is caused by guide clearance and won't usually cause a problem. Ford says the left head is usually the one affected as it gets less coolant flow than the right and causes the guides to get hotter. A revised head has been released to cure this problem (revised coolant passage). Finally, the oil weight was changed by Ford not for better lubrication or to prevent noise, but to increse corporate avereage fuel economy (CAFE). Hope this helps. If your engine seems excessively noisy, by all means have your dealer check it out. The noise may be normal, but at least you will know. Sorry for the long post.
99% of the time the tech says normal :bang:

JTGrant, My GT has the same problem. However it never seems too rear its ugly head when I bring it in. I have described it to the service manager and we have spoken several times about the issue. Last time I was in for an oil change I spoke with him again and he said it sounded from my description like the Cam Phaser and said to let him know in advance and he would order the part. On that note I just kind have not wanted to give the car up and also don't want to be a test. So I guess I'll wait until it annoys me a little more and then take it in. I also am waiting to see if anybody else with the same problem get it repaired succefully. Good luck.
Michael

manystangs said:
JTGrant, My GT has the same problem. However it never seems too rear its ugly head when I bring it in. I have described it to the service manager and we have spoken several times about the issue. Last time I was in for an oil change I spoke with him again and he said it sounded from my description like the Cam Phaser and said to let him know in advance and he would order the part. On that note I just kind have not wanted to give the car up and also don't want to be a test. So I guess I'll wait until it annoys me a little more and then take it in. I also am waiting to see if anybody else with the same problem get it repaired succefully. Good luck.
Michael

It only does it sometimes though.

Thank you for this generous, 24k gold nugget of pony blessings and THE Holy Grail of answered pony-prayers for The Cringy and Curious Case Files for “Advanced Stages” of Mortifying Ford Tick! I’m grateful infinity