All Ideas Welcome

Reformation1

Aug 28, 2016
This is my black 2003 Mustang V6. Im the original owner. The whole car is not worthy to be posted here because of its appearance but I took some pics for your viewing. I would like your opinions, ideas, or suggestions on what you thin
1473194710200-682292957.jpg
1473194780386147792801.jpg
14731948465081701622640.jpg
14731948970851849617171.jpg
k I should do with this car. When I came back from Kuwait in 2003 I was fresh from seeing "Gone in 60 Seconds" with Nicolas Cage (For you older guys I did see the original). I went straight to the Ford dealership showroom floor convertible yellow Mustang Cobra in California. After they reviewed my finances they said let us show you this 'automatic' V6 lol. So long story short I bought the car it got stolen. All of the radio equipment and rims were stolen while I was in Iraq. They pushed it down the street and it was impounded by police. I did not recognize it. It has not been fixed up as it once was since. I am very interested in getting the 2003-04 Cobra in the near future but I have this right now. Why not get a newer 2008 Shelby or something? Well...there seems to be something special about the Terminator. So much so that a book was written about it. What do you think I should do to my Mustang? Keep it? Sell it? Build it up?It has almost 56,000 original miles on it (I was deployed a lot and it sat often). It has Stock exhaust. Stock brakes. Stock interior. Almost stock everything. It has a BBK cold air intake. Custom rear grey lights. I want to switch back to the traditional stock brake lights but tinted black. It has a new headlight assembly because the original was yellow stained and the toothpaste trick did not work. I am thinking about getting the wheels dipped but unsure if I should do chrome or glossy black, or get new wheels altogether. But building this and trying to save for a Terminator will be hard so I don't know. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Kind of a bird in the hand thing to me. A Terminator is an enticing thing, I would think it would depend on the deal you can find. People know what they are, and how much people want them.

That being said, if you can swing it, and you can find one you like. Why not?

Lots of ifs there, a new if for you. You already have this one and are very familiar with its history. Now if you want to fix it up, do an engine swap, etc.... You can do it one piece at a time, you know what I mean? Get a pair if subframe connectors, then later buy new control arms. If you got a bit of cash, update to a mod 2 valve, or a mod 3 valve or a.....

Sure, it might be the same amount of money in the end, but you'll have built something to be proud of in the mean time.

But a Terminator.....it'll be a nice car for a long time to come.

Thank you very much for your input. One piece at a time gives hope that a beast Mustang over time is attainable.

Kind of a bird in the hand thing to me. A Terminator is an enticing thing, I would think it would depend on the deal you can find. People know what they are, and how much people want them.

That being said, if you can swing it, and you can find one you like. Why not?

Lots of ifs there, a new if for you. You already have this one and are very familiar with its history. Now if you want to fix it up, do an engine swap, etc.... You can do it one piece at a time, you know what I mean? Get a pair if subframe connectors, then later buy new control arms. If you got a bit of cash, update to a mod 2 valve, or a mod 3 valve or a.....

Sure, it might be the same amount of money in the end, but you'll have built something to be proud of in the mean time.

But a Terminator.....it'll be a nice car for a long time to come.

Thank you very much for your input. One piece at a time gives hope that a beast Mustang over time is attainable.
Well of course it is!

I just bought an '83 t-top coupe, it has a V6 in it right now, and it will for at least two, probably three years.

I will slowly make it into a very cool monster. I'm just starting out making it a running vehicle. It'll need body and paint, suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, interior, new drivetrain eventually.

Even if I had the money to buy all that stuff, it would still take significant time to accomplish the upgrades.

That is where the joy of this begins! You already have a driver, you'll notice when you do the little things. Subframe connectors really tighten things up. New bushings and replacing your trailing arms will make a difference, etc....etc....

Sometime the process can seem almost better than the results themselves. Dig what you're doing, have a vision where you want it to be, do each step so you're proud of what you've done. Show it off to the guys here, we love seeing someone succeed on their projects. It's really a cool thing brother.

Embrace the inner gear head you have in you, crack open a beer and have fun getting after it.

Awesome! I am looking online at subframe connectors now. I was unsure where I should start so I guess subframe connectors is a good start? I guess you should know what my vision for my vehicle is first. I did look at turbo kits for V6 and I seen a video or two of a procharged V6 but not sure if either of those will be 'my' thing. I always heard there is no replacement for displacement so I always had it in my mind to have a V8. So with that in mind I want 500 HP and TQ as the minimum. However I hear that after you dyno a few times HP gains get to be addicting. I think as a finishing goal if the minimum goal is not enough 700 HP should be the max. So I will start with subframe connectors and then control arms until the last thing to be the transmission and engine swap. Does that sound somewhat right? I will definitely post my build journey along the way and continue to get tips and ideas. Thank you.

You got a low mileage mustang with a V6. You want to go fast. This is what I propose.

If the V6 is already paid off, keep it, put nothing into it and save your money for the car you want. Keep it right and it can do daily duty even after you but a cobra. Terminators make real nice weekend fun cars. You wouldn't have to put it thru the rigors of daily driving.

Try and build a 700 hp monster out of a V6 and you will spend more than you would have just buying a terminator.

700 hp to the wheel with a terminator is relatively simple. Plus you get the good brakes, transmission, IRS, better fuel tank and pumps, special styling cues in and out.

You can wrench that V6 until the end of time in pursuit of big power. Be ready for years of "work in progress". If that's your bag though, I can dig it. If you like wrenching you can make whatever you want happen.

You'll be mad as hell when a guy in a bolt on / kenne bell terminator flies past you in the car that you really wanted all along.

Bought an 04 Gt in 2006. Couldn't afford the Mach 1 at the time. Years past and I spent over 10 grand just to get my GT to 400 rwhp. Thought "if I couldn't have a mach 1, I would build a car that can beat a mach 1". GT was a fast car for a while. Then is spit a chunk of piston out the exhaust.

Now I have the car I wanted. My nice low mileage 2004 Mach 1. Its not near as fast as the ole' GT in her prime but its better because its the car I wanted all along. And well worth the wait.

Wow a piston out of the exhaust...that is wild. Thank you very much for your comment. I have pondered doing that as well.

You got a low mileage mustang with a V6. You want to go fast. This is what I propose.

If the V6 is already paid off, keep it, put nothing into it and save your money for the car you want. Keep it right and it can do daily duty even after you but a cobra. Terminators make real nice weekend fun cars. You wouldn't have to put it thru the rigors of daily driving.

Try and build a 700 hp monster out of a V6 and you will spend more than you would have just buying a terminator.

700 hp to the wheel with a terminator is relatively simple. Plus you get the good brakes, transmission, IRS, better fuel tank and pumps, special styling cues in and out.

You can wrench that V6 until the end of time in pursuit of big power. Be ready for years of "work in progress". If that's your bag though, I can dig it. If you like wrenching you can make whatever you want happen.

You'll be mad as hell when a guy in a bolt on / kenne bell terminator flies past you in the car that you really wanted all along.

Bought an 04 Gt in 2006. Couldn't afford the Mach 1 at the time. Years past and I spent over 10 grand just to get my GT to 400 rwhp. Thought "if I couldn't have a mach 1, I would build a car that can beat a mach 1". GT was a fast car for a while. Then is spit a chunk of piston out the exhaust.

Now I have the car I wanted. My nice low mileage 2004 Mach 1. Its not near as fast as the ole' GT in her prime but its better because its the car I wanted all along. And well worth the wait.

Taking a V6 to it's outer limits to try to get as much as you can out of it will eventually lead to it not having any drive ability.

V8 is the way to go in some form.

700 rwhp for a dd? Won't happen for you or anyone else, of course depending on what you consider a dd to be. Slightest bit of moisture on the road and you'll have to drive it like a ridiculous baby. Just sayin', It's actually kind of hard to make a person stop and see reason when you get into being a hp junkie though. It's just a 'tad" addictive.

Honestly though, if you want a special edition like a terminator. I mean you really crave it. Then you should drive your V6 and save until you can afford one. Because you'll always want one.

But if it's not that big of a deal, yes to the subframe connectors. Good starting point.

Ok that is a good point. I seen a 2003 cobra going for $34,000 because it only had a few thousand miles (below 5000). So, if I want that I would be basically saving for a new car. Paying almost 40,000 for a 2003 kind of does not sit right with me. A lot to think about. Thank you for your input.

Taking a V6 to it's outer limits to try to get as much as you can out of it will eventually lead to it not having any drive ability.

V8 is the way to go in some form.

700 rwhp for a dd? Won't happen for you or anyone else, of course depending on what you consider a dd to be. Slightest bit of moisture on the road and you'll have to drive it like a ridiculous baby. Just sayin', It's actually kind of hard to make a person stop and see reason when you get into being a hp junkie though. It's just a 'tad" addictive.

Honestly though, if you want a special edition like a terminator. I mean you really crave it. Then you should drive your V6 and save until you can afford one. Because you'll always want one.

But if it's not that big of a deal, yes to the subframe connectors. Good starting point.

I've been a car guy for 60 years and have had 4 mustangs,,,all v-8s. A lot of people commute to work and would be interested in a Mustang like yours ,,low miles and a v6. I'm a vet so i understand military duty. If you're still in service you have a regular paycheck. Pretty up your stang. Deep detail the engine compartment and interior and trunk. Replace scored and cruddy items. Make it shine,,trade it or sell. Shop for what you want. Take your time. I had been shopping many years for my 19 year old GT with only 38K miles. All suggestions of course ,,best of luck to you.

I agree with most above...keep your v6 and save for the car you want. Or sell it and use the money to help buy what you want...a daily driver wouldn't be suited at over 500hp. My Gt is currently my dd so I don't wanna lose the mpg or drive ability. I have a new truck that I keep the miles off of...until my commute gets smaller the gt will stay as is.