Alternator replacement with vortech installed?

1993SSP

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
Ky
It just hit me while I was under my car rechecking all my hoses and wiring after installing my vortech supercharger. (which is freaking awesome!!!)

Will the bracketry for the the charger/smog/alternator have to be taken off the car to put in a new alternator?? Im crossing my fingers that I never have to replace it but was just curious. I didnt see any way possible of doing it without pulling it all off the engine

• Sponsors (?)

during the assembly of the main bracket the long top bolt came in from the rear, there is no way it will come out, it looks like it will hit against the motor if it were to ever be taken out

hey speaking of superchargers and alternators, are you running a 2g or a 3 g alt?? i assume the vortech will work ok with a 3g since so many have them.......just wondering......

so what model charger did you go with and how did the instalation go overall???

from what i remember i was able to install my 3g alt with the charger bracket still in place. was over 4 years ago. by looking at it there is still only two bolts holding the alt in. and both are accessible. by the was i am using a s-trim. system is about 5 years old. i am not sure if they changed the design. joe

Hmmm, I was pretty sure that the bolt went in from the front, but I must have been thinking of my old Powerdyne setup. I just went out and looked at mine and it does look like the bracket would have to be removed.

I forgot what I did, but I set it up so I was able to pull the alternator from under the car. I think I just put the screw in backwards, but I'm not sure as it has been quite a while.

All I know is I DID do it when I upgraded to the 3G alternator, so whatever I did...worked.