Alternator whine and battery flashing..

joshjwc9

Jun 12, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Well my 163k mile Vortech Mustang just has a little problem. Took a turn a little spirited today and noticed the battery light come on and flash a few times before going off. Now alternator has a whine that increases with engine speed. I ordered a 160 amp off of eBay. Is the car okay for the 10 mile trip home where it'll be parked til new alt comes in?

• Sponsors (?)

If the sound is mechanical you might be pushing it. If a bearing has failed I wouldn't trust it. Take the belt off and check the shaft play -- axial and radial -- to judge whether the bearings are fit for service.

If the sound is electrical it's likely the alternator has blown one or more diodes and is probably okay to drive. You should use a voltmeter -- beg, borrow or steal -- and check the alternator output. If the regulator has gone off the reservation you can get very high voltages out of an alternator. Check the DC reading with the engine idling. If the alternator light is on I expect you to see 12V or less. Anything over 14 and I would disconnect the alternator completely making sure to completely protect the "big" wire against shorts. You can blow a lot of electronics if the alternator output is unregulated...

The blower makes this difficult to take off the belt. Charge light flashed several times then went off for the remaining 2ish miles to work. Sound remains though when car is idling. Where do I measure alt output?

14 VDC sounds okay to drive, at least electrically. Perhaps a bearing is on the way out.

Curious: Are you sure it's the alternator and not, say the smooth or grooved idler or tensioner pulleys making that noise?

I didn't risk it. Haha.

I'm more than positive it is coming from the rear most part of the alternator by me using a 1 foot section of vacuum hose and putting my head really close to the alternator. I'm probably going to replace all the idlers went I get the bracket off too, especially since I'd rather spend the money for peace of mind.

I ordered a heavier duty alternator from a manufacturer who I've seem several really good reviews from on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTAN...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e78debcf4

Going to get some HD idler/tensioner pulleys from the Advance around the corner too.

I'm probably going to make my own thicker gauge wiring too, with say 2 gauge wire from the alt to the battery. Or pick it up from the local audio place. Do I need an inline fuse too?

I had a problem with my 6G where that plastic piece that acts as the rear bearing support cracked and allowed the entire shaft and bearing assembly to move radially. It never made noise but I noticed it while searching down another noise... I wonder if the 6G doesn't like reverse-rotation as happens when used in a KB installation.

A bearing replacement and new tolerance ring are pretty cheap. But if you've already ordered a new one then never mind :D

I had a problem with my 6G where that plastic piece that acts as the rear bearing support cracked and allowed the entire shaft and bearing assembly to move radially. It never made noise but I noticed it while searching down another noise... I wonder if the 6G doesn't like reverse-rotation as happens when used in a KB installation.

A bearing replacement and new tolerance ring are pretty cheap. But if you've already ordered a new one then never mind :D
I don't wait around :D

I may do just that and keep it. It is the OEM one BTW with all of these miles and I just put it up to wear/mileage/being in a boosted application. Now to take the blower off and support it so I can swap in the new one and new idler.

I see PA Performance sell a wire upgrade, can I just use some big gauge audio cable to upgrade it or do I need some sort of inline fuse?

Definitely keep the old one around. Repair parts aren't expensive and it's good to have spares. I bought a black-painted high-ampacity PA alternator for mine but found the regulation to be terrible: lights would dim badly at idle and would vary in brightness with engine RPM, a sign the regulator wasn't up to par or something else was wrong internally. Shame because the black looked good under the hood. I ended up fixing the OE part and shelving the PA. I might try to fix the PA at some point. (I couldn't really return it because I took a grinder to the case as you need to do to make it fit in reverse for a KB car.)

I wouldn't bother with a wire upgrade unless you plan on drawing huge amounts of current from the alternator or the existing wire has corrosion issues or, for example, a bad crimp. What sort of electrical loads do you have (e.g. big stereo?)

Definitely keep the old one around. Repair parts aren't expensive and it's good to have spares. I bought a black-painted high-ampacity PA alternator for mine but found the regulation to be terrible: lights would dim badly at idle and would vary in brightness with engine RPM, a sign the regulator wasn't up to par or something else was wrong internally. Shame because the black looked good under the hood. I ended up fixing the OE part and shelving the PA. I might try to fix the PA at some point. (I couldn't really return it because I took a grinder to the case as you need to do to make it fit in reverse for a KB car.)

I wouldn't bother with a wire upgrade unless you plan on drawing huge amounts of current from the alternator or the existing wire has corrosion issues or, for example, a bad crimp. What sort of electrical loads do you have (e.g. big stereo?)

Nothing really, just a deck and wanted to overbuild considering the opportunity to. Probably will be looking for a bearing kit too here shortly as well.