Alternator Wiring Help

00jimmyd00

Jan 24, 2014
St Pete
I just recently picked up an 88 GT, The prior owners messed with the alternator wiring. I took some pics to show what I'm working with. The alternator has three wires coming out of one of the plugs (2 black/orange, 1 white/black). The previous owner had the two black/orange wires coming from the alternator plug connected to one thicker gauge black/orange wire coming from a bundle of wires (white, green, red/black, black/yellow, yellow/brown). The wires were held together with a cheap connector and came apart. I don't want to have any under hood fires. Can anyone let me know if these wires were correctly connected or how they should be connected.
CAM00175_zps8ab4a647.jpg
CAM00176_zps75eb1115.jpg
CAM00177_zps344a3c2b.jpg

Thanks,

Jimmy

• Sponsors (?)

I didn't even think of that. It's been about 5 or so yrs since I had a fox, I have to get re acquainted to the everything. The car ran fine with the wires spliced together, I just don't want to have any mishaps. I've read about the fuse able links needing to be on certain wires.

You definitely want to get that tidied up. Those big connectors are known for catching on fire. If the big plug has any signs of corrosion, go ahead and replace it. It is ok to have it going to a single wire, but make sure the wire is fresh, clean, and soldered.

Kurt

Thanks for the info, I cleaned up the wiring and started right up. I have a lot of things to do though, heater core is leaking, door hinge pins, dash in general is pretty beat up. I knew there were a bunch of things that needed attention but I'm looking forward to fixing it up.

If there was a 3g in there at one time, then there would be evidence of it in the bracket. The lower part of the bracket has to be clearanced to fit a 3g alternator.

Kurt