Am I OK with using a brand new clutch disk with a used low mile pressure plate?

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
New York
I got my mcleod dual friction clutch disk today from d&d and I am planning on reusing my king cobra pressure plate. The pressure plate has maybe 500-1000 miles on it. Do I NEED a brand new pressure plate or will the old one be fine? What i'm asking is, is there any kind of wear pattern on this pp and the old disk or will I be fine reusing the king cobra pp with my new mcleod dual friction disk?

• Sponsors (?)

You'll be fine...:nice: Just check it visually for anything "negative" and make sure everything is installed nice and dry...and you'll be just fine...

I would rather install a used pressure plate than a used disc personally...

Mike, as long as there are no burns, glaze or grooves, it should be alright (ditto for the flywheel). not 100%, but good odds.

good luck.

5spd GT said:
I would rather install a used pressure plate than a used disc personally...
first off, i was replying to a PM and did not refresh the page after i had previously loaded it - sorry to have duplicated info already posted.

David, i agree with this. disk is to underwear as PP is to pants. i would rather have to wear used pants than used underwear. :D

There might be a tiny scratch on the pp. I have to go look at it again. Nothing huge.

What does a burnt PP look like?

It appears fine to me from what I remember, but i'l check it out again tomorrow. Its mixed in with my pile of parts, my whole motor is laying in the garage scattered about neatly :D

I'm gonna get a new Ford billet steel 28 oz flywheel from d&d.

A burnt pressure plate looks shiney (as apposed to a satin metal finish), and it generally has darker spots on it, and in some bad cases blue or purple spots on it. I know i just did the clutch in my daily driver yesterday and the whole pp was purple. Previous owner must have ridden the crap out of it.

The PP looks fine to me. Theres a little blueish spot on it but the entire pp is not covered with them. Theres a very tiny scratch on it probably from when I put in on the ground in the garage.

ForgedRod, i'm building a n/a 347 stroker and i'm having the rotating assembly balanced to 28oz.

Rick 91GT said:
Mike you can always hit it with a small vibrating sander as well...

You want me to "hit it" with a "small vibrator"? Get your mind out of the gutter :D

Isn't the PP supposed to be smooth? Wouldn't sanding it make it rough?

Hopefully someone local will buy my clutch kit and I can just buy a brand new KC pp. That mcleod dual friction disk is noticeably lighter than the Ford disk I was using :banana:

Grn92LX said:
You want me to "hit it" with a "small vibrator"? Get your mind out of the gutter :D

Isn't the PP supposed to be smooth? Wouldn't sanding it make it rough?

Hopefully someone local will buy my clutch kit and I can just buy a brand new KC pp. That mcleod dual friction disk is noticeably lighter than the Ford disk I was using :banana:
in my experience, most little sanders (orbitals) with a fine cut paper, are almost useless (great for this use). it is the same idea as working the PP friction surface with a scotchbrite pad - it will just get the surface glaze off, w/o doing any cutting (like a lathe or Blanchard grinder would).

just like if you had surface rust on your brake rotors - sand the rust off but you cant sand the metal down any (at least i cant. LOL).