Amount of mufflers?

• Sponsors (?)

What's the advantage of having two muffflers instead of one? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't having two series 40 on a V6 stang result in low backpressure?

When I took my mustang to a muffler shop, they put different mufflers on to see which one I liked. In the end, I decided to go with the flowmaster series 10. It was louder than a dual series 40 and had a nice popping sound. I paid $390ish total.

Stangfanatic98 said:
i just got an estimate for the install of the super 40s...$980 500 being for a dynomax exhaust and swapping in the flows...hell I'll get the MAC's and if i don't like them I'll cut and weld in the flows.

:bs:

What a rip off! Let me guess....you took it to some performance shop or name brand company?

My Flow Series 40 Delta x 2 cost $80 for both. 2001 GT take off system was free. Install of GT Takeoff and swap of Flows for the Ford mufflers - $125.

Catch, took it too a hole in the wall muffler shop. Even got to watch the install and help.

I also talked to a performance muffler shop here in town about how much it would cost to do the same job. They quoted me $680. I laughed my a$$ and left.

stargate160 said:
What's the advantage of having two muffflers instead of one? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't having two series 40 on a V6 stang result in low backpressure?

When I took my mustang to a muffler shop, they put different mufflers on to see which one I liked. In the end, I decided to go with the flowmaster series 10. It was louder than a dual series 40 and had a nice popping sound. I paid $390ish total.

2 mufflers will sound much better, and if you leave the y-pipe on there shouldnt be a change in back pressure. plus the loss of back pressure from a true dual setup with gt takeoffs would provide more of an all around gain than a loss.

I took my car to a local muffler shop and got the 10 series Flowmasters..not known to many but they are the 1 chamber race series and 2 of those installed was only $257.60 so even though a shop may be run down looking, those are kinda the people you want to be dealing with. $980 and change is very costly for 2 Super 40's.

There's a great idea. I sent my inquiry to Springfield Motorsport..that's my first mistake. Anyway, I still can't find flow's for under $80-100 each. Anyone know of good places to look for em'? I've tried google but every website i so expensive..even when I try 'discount' and 'sale' etc etc in my search query. I don't trust buying car parts off e-bay however. So I guess I'll hold off on buying that MAC flowpath bolt-on for now. its only $230 and labor is free since its a no-brainer. :flag:

Stangfanatic98 said:
There's a great idea. I sent my inquiry to Springfield Motorsport..that's my first mistake. Anyway, I still can't find flow's for under $80-100 each. Anyone know of good places to look for em'? I've tried google but every website i so expensive..even when I try 'discount' and 'sale' etc etc in my search query. I don't trust buying car parts off e-bay however. So I guess I'll hold off on buying that MAC flowpath bolt-on for now. its only $230 and labor is free since its a no-brainer. :flag:

Ebay

I lost my trust in ebay motors when I saw someone selling a 'NOS' kit as a nylon hose and a bunch of CO2 tanks to a handheld paintball/bbgun. Someday I might buy from it...but when I want a 3.80" pipe...I don't want to open the box and find out I paid for a 3.5" and have to pay the shipping once again or not even have the right part altogether.

When I had my bassani exhaust (which is still for sale, btw) it had 1 muffler, then "y'ed into dual pipes. I believe that 1 muffler creates a good amount of backpressure that you'll need, and wont result in a hp loss.

Stangfanatic98 said:

Check out ebay...i got 2 for 65 bucks a pop. I got them put on for 50 bucks at a mom and pop shop. He's also gonna put on my off road h-pipe and headers. They usually do it after closing time and take cash only, no receipt.