An invitation to get pulled over

tehnick

Nov 9, 2005
Beaverton, OR
Bought a plug and play HID lighting system for my car. Took no more than 30 minutes to install it. Now the cops have even more of a reason to pull me over. My night vision sucks, so it's definitely safe to say that I will no longer have that problem anymore... I also have matching fog bulbs, but I need to get an OEM fog light kit ordered before I can royally piss off even more people in traffic than I already do. Heh, check it... It's rice-tastic :D:

hid01.jpg

hid02.jpg

hid03.jpg

hid04.jpg

hid05.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Why would you get pulled over for them. A lot of vehicles come from the factory with that type of system. I guess there is a law on amount of light you can put out, but if they pull you for that, then their just bored and having nothing else better to do.

99GTtony said:
Why would you get pulled over for them. A lot of vehicles come from the factory with that type of system. I guess there is a law on amount of light you can put out, but if they pull you for that, then their just bored and having nothing else better to do.

The cars that come from the factory with HID's have special reflectors and lenses that aim the light and don't blind oncoming traffic. The "plug and play" stuff just shoves an HID bulb into the existing housing and it scatters light everywhere. This results in an unsafe, blinding look from the front of your car and will end up getting you a ticket or causing an accident.

wythors said:
The cars that come from the factory with HID's have special reflectors and lenses that aim the light and don't blind oncoming traffic. The "plug and play" stuff just shoves an HID bulb into the existing housing and it scatters light everywhere. This results in an unsafe, blinding look from the front of your car and will end up getting you a ticket or causing an accident.
I had them in my cobra and never got pulled over "for the lights":D that is in over a year. The trick is to angle them down just a little more than normal. I had the 6000's series though which is a little easier on the eyes. It looks like he has around 8000's which is more purple/violet and a little harder on the eyes but I think they look very nice and he shouldnt have any problems. As far as blinding people I dont think that there as bad as car thats a little taller that puts the standard bulbs brightness in your face. IMO:nice:

You are going to suffer fatigue in the long run with "blue" lights. It will kill your eyes. :(

http://intellexual.net/hid.html#miscon

Blue light also shifts the color hue of everything on the road to blue scale, which fatigues your eyes more than a standard halogen bulb, and it's brightness isn't that much of a marked improvement over a xenon-filled halogen bulb. As evidence of this blue eye fatigue, anyone in the Armed Forces, or anyone who is an astonomer/stargazer, knows to read maps and charts at night using a red light. This is because red light (on the opposite end of the visible light spectrum from blue) doesn't burn into your eyes and affect your night vision like blue light does. As an experiment, momentarily shine a red LED in one of your eyes and a blue LED in the other. Close both eyes and notice how the blue LED burns into your cornea a lot more than the red does. This is because blue light is higher energy and thus causes more strain and wear on the light receptors in your eyes than red light. Kind of like blasting your car stereo at 100db for half an hour straight would fatigue your ears.

Rice-tastic is correct, please use a 4100K bulb, instead of a 300,000,000K bulb, the blue color actually makes the brightness less than a regular 4100K-4300K.

Oh and if your cuttoff is no where near this sharp, then you will understand why other motorists will want to yell at you.

HID_1.JPG

This looks like a smurf exploded in front of your car.
hid01.jpg

Tylerb59 said:
What kit is that so I know what NOT to buy.
Just keep running those high dollar yellow ones you've got on your stanglet and you'll be styling:lol:I cant beleive how ruthless some of you are , here this guy just spent 300 to 500 plus on HID'S and is proud of them and is trying to share his exctitement with everyone and your like a bunch of piranhas trying to rip him a new one:nonono: actually if you want a whiter bulb go with 6000's they have a very light blue tint but are whiter the farther your away from them kind of like bmw's cads, and exotics.

The Factor said:
Just keep running those high dollar yellow ones you've got on your stanglet and you'll be styling:lol:I cant beleive how ruthless some of you are , here this guy just spent 300 to 500 plus on HID'S and is proud of them and is trying to share his exctitement with everyone and your like a bunch of piranhas trying to rip him a new one:nonono: actually if you want a whiter bulb go with 6000's they have a very light blue tint but are whiter the farther your away from them kind of like bmw's cads, and exotics.

Stanglet? Are you trying to insult me? Please.

I apologize for coming off harsh if that's how you read into it, but I wouldn't start ... attemping to fling mud there dude-let.

I've already kicked around the idea of picking up a set, but seriously would be upset if they came out like pictured above. As far as I'm aware, the bulbs are easier to replace, so it's not much more out of pocket to change the temperature.

Not to mention the wide spread. Eek.

Congrats on installing the HID's. My next DD will definitely have factory HID's, though I don't think I will ever put them on my stang. BTW, if a guy in a black ford escape flashes his high beams at you in the beaverton area, it will probably be my father. He seems to think that HID's are high beams, despite my attempts to explain the contrary. Feel free to show him the high beams!:D

All eBay HID kits are high beamless. You would have to have a second element to give high beams and you'd then have to have a different housing.

The difference between a factory HID setup and the eBay kits is like comparing washing your driveway with a commerical pressure washer to using a lawn sprinkler. There's a lot of water, but it goes everywhere except where you want it.

Tylerb59 said:
Stanglet? Are you trying to insult me? Please.

I apologize for coming off harsh if that's how you read into it, but I wouldn't start ... attemping to fling mud there dude-let.

I've already kicked around the idea of picking up a set, but seriously would be upset if they came out like pictured above. As far as I'm aware, the bulbs are easier to replace, so it's not much more out of pocket to change the temperature.

Not to mention the wide spread. Eek.
No problem Bud-let, thought it was a little harsh until you edited your post, and no I dont throw mud bro-let just big rocks and not from a glass house either:D oh ya my appoligies also.