annoying chirpy sound

Hi guys,

I put my car back on the road and now have to get the little issues fixed. The most annoying of the bunch is a chirp or squeak that appears to be comign from the passenger rear. It varies as the speed does and a tiny bit of brake pressure stops it. It seems to be louder when turning toward the right. B/c of that last variable, my mechanic took apart and checked over the front brakes but it is still there. I noticed today that I am pretty sure it is coming from the rear.

ANy thoughts or better yet EASY fixes?

• Sponsors (?)

Holy crap , my GT just started doing the same dam thing about 3 weeks ago ,
it sounds like its one of the rear brakes , so I took them apart last thursday regrease the pins even the clips and over greased the calipers and pads just to be safe , took it out for a drive , still squeaking:shrug:

My GT seems to do it under load , say doing up a hill or on the hightway if I give it gas from 35-65 mph or so ! its weird because it does not do it under full throttle !

It has to be the brakes , because just like you , if im on the highway and it starts to do it , I keep my foot on the gas and hit the brakes with my other foot and it goes away !

I read somewhere that, yes, pressing on the brake will cause the noise to stop if you have a bad wheel bearing. Where I read it, I cannot remember, and why it does that I cannot remember. I had the exact same problem. When I pressed the brake the noise would stop too. I changed the wheel bearing and the noise went away.

Why would the noise stop because of turning? Also, about how much would it cost to get rid of this damn bearing and is it easy?

Depending on which side the bad bearing is on, when turning, it will relieve some of the pressure on the bearing causing the noise to dissapear. At least thats how it was for me. i also had a nasty vibration at high speeds that was annoying.

I paid about 40-50 bucks for my bearing at the time. this was for a 95 v6.

Depending on which side the bad bearing is on, when turning, it will relieve some of the pressure on the bearing causing the noise to dissapear. At least thats how it was for me. i also had a nasty vibration at high speeds that was annoying.

I paid about 40-50 bucks for my bearing at the time. this was for a 95 v6.

So your saying that turning onto a street at about 15mph or so it would stop? Also, did you replace the bearing or someone else?

Sounds like wheel bearing to me too.

I have had one go on a different car and trust me you do not what to let the bearing fail while driving and speed :notnice:

They will squeak on and off because of the change in loading on the bearing. When you press the brake you are altering the geometry of the wheel bearing slightly and thus the squeak goes away.

A test used to be to jack up the car on the side you think the squeak is coming from and grab the wheel one hand on top and bottom and try to push it in and out see if there is any play in the wheel vertically, there should be virtually none. However the bearing might not be that far gone yet, it could be that the grease is starting to dry up but the bearing will fail eventually.

good luck!

had the same problem at one point and fixed it

first of all a wheel bearing will only start squeeking on a rear because the rear diff is low on fluid (nothing getting to the bearings)
seeing how these bearings are an internally lubricated part!

so before you go and swap out the bearings if its not to late for them cause they are all dried up and wore to bad try draining your rear and replacing the fluid
i would recomend using some lucas as well

but thats how i fixed mine

hmmm.......

If not the wheel bearing, it could be a warped rotor, I think I have the same issue, and I have ruled everything else out, Next i'm going to try replacing the rotor. It may also be a U-Joint but the issue with turning rules that out for the most part.

had the same problem at one point and fixed it

first of all a wheel bearing will only start squeeking on a rear because the rear diff is low on fluid (nothing getting to the bearings)
seeing how these bearings are an internally lubricated part!

Good point about the rear bearing :nice:

But the word self lubricating just implies that there is no need to lube the bearing. However is doesn't mean the bearing is guaranteed to not fail for life, they do and will fail sometimes I know its happened to me before.

regards

Sounds like wheel bearing to me too.

I have had one go on a different car and trust me you do not what to let the bearing fail while driving and speed :notnice:

They will squeak on and off because of the change in loading on the bearing. When you press the brake you are altering the geometry of the wheel bearing slightly and thus the squeak goes away.

A test used to be to jack up the car on the side you think the squeak is coming from and grab the wheel one hand on top and bottom and try to push it in and out see if there is any play in the wheel vertically, there should be virtually none. However the bearing might not be that far gone yet, it could be that the grease is starting to dry up but the bearing will fail eventually.

good luck!

So, what you're saying is that I have to replace the bearing or relubricate it? Sorry for keeping on asking.

both now that i think about it if its squeekin its prolly done ..... pull the cover off the rear drain the fluid... pop the axle and junk take off ness. junk and i cant express this enough

REPLACE THE REAR AXLE SEAL!!!!!!!!!!

knock the bearing out get the new one pack it with grease and smash it there lol

replace the rear cover fill the rear till its spillin out the fill hole and BAM your done lol

not a real simple job but its a learning experience so good luck and i hope my backwoods terminology wasnt too redneck for ya........lol