Another Backspacing Question

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
I currently running 15x8 with 5.25 backspacing. No clearancing was needed and no rubbing issues with my 26x10.5 drag radials (10.5" at the widest section width).

I want to buy another set of rear wheels to put some regular tires on, and would like to go with a 15x10. I see 6.25 and 6.5 back spacing. I know I will have to roll the fenders and massage the inners. Effectively I will be adding 1 to 1.25" of wheel to the outside edge of the wheel well.

My question is this: how much does the rim width affect the tire width? Meaning, I can squeeze a 275 tire on my 8" rims, but how much wider will that tire get going on a 10" rim? I have a hard time looking at the edge of my current tires and thinking that there is room for another 1.25". But I may be confusing the point, and the tire may only grow a small portion.

Can someone give me some real world experience here? Also, 6.25 or 6.5" fit easier with a 10" rim?

Thanks.

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

I have 18x10s with 285s on the rear. 6.4 back spacing. It barely rubs the fender on a hard bump, clears the inner fender fine without any banging. A 275 may clear all my issues. 6.25 will push you closer toward the fender vs the 6.5. I vote 6.5

Reactions: 1 user
I understand what you are asking,but it is hard to say how much wider the sidewall will get on a 10'' rim v 8''.
Shorter tires are easier to fit then larger. Typical 275/50-15 will probably be fine on 6.25 or 6.5 B/S. When tire width and diameter are pushed to the limits,B/S becomes more critical.

I understand what you are asking,but it is hard to say how much wider the sidewall will get on a 10'' rim v 8''.
Shorter tires are easier to fit then larger. Typical 275/50-15 will probably be fine on 6.25 or 6.5 B/S. When tire width and diameter are pushed to the limits,B/S becomes more critical.

I guess my big concern is whether or not the tire would grow 1.25" out as well. I believe it will not, just looking for some reassurance I guess.

Thanks for the replies.

Joe

6.5" is better than the .25" like stated above it will bring the tire inward slightly from the fender. Buddy used to run some 15x10 welds with 6.5" and some Mickey bias plys. Don't remember the tire size though. He did roll the fenders and didn't have quads fwiw.

Reactions: 1 user