Another CA Smog posting......

93 LX

Founding Member
Jun 2, 2000
Norwalk, CA.
As of December 1 2007 the lovely state of California has all 76 through 96 cars tested for the fuel evap system. This is another testing machine that some how tests the charcoal canister and all the other hoses and electronics of that system. If you fail there is a special shop that can test the system to find any failure in the system. This test cost 300 plus any parts to fix this.

Since this is new to me and I have to test this December I would like to know how I can verify the system is working properly? I do not have any codes so I think the solenoid is workingcorrectly and the hoses on the front of the car look fine. Any other places I need to look?

Allen

• Sponsors (?)

thankfully there isn't much to it.

So long as the lines running from the tank to the canister, between the canister and the solenoid, and the solenoid and the upper intake are all intact...and you have a functioning solenoid and intact canister (not much to go wrong there), than you are good to go. :nice:

where did you hear about this?? just wondering where you got the info cause I can find anything on the internet about it. I live in cali and havent heard of it. By no means does that mean its not true. But I am up for smog and it needs a little help passing but it has no canister.

Smogged the wife's PT Cruiser today and the smog tech told me. He even showed me how the new machine works too. I go to this guy every year on my Stang although my Stang has never failed a smog test. The DMV told me its random but I think its a DMV thing to get older cars off the road.

Allen

where did you hear about this?? just wondering where you got the info cause I can find anything on the internet about it. I live in cali and havent heard of it. By no means does that mean its not true. But I am up for smog and it needs a little help passing but it has no canister.

I don't have any links or information that can be shared regarding this new process with California smog, but it is true. They are now testing the fuel evap system. I work for a dealership and our "drivability/smog" technician got back from testing and certification on this new process last month.

Mike

I don't have any links or information that can be shared regarding this new process with California smog, but it is true. They are now testing the fuel evap system. I work for a dealership and our "drivability/smog" technician got back from testing and certification on this new process last month.

Mike

I dont doubt it is true. I just have to get my car back together and smog it this month and I only have 10 days to do it. This is good to know it just I havent heard or seen anything about it and it supposed to take place next month. I need to get out of the hole a little more!! lol

I need to get smogged by mid December, looks like I'm going in this week just in case ...

Smog sucks, I just went from full mac exhaust (headers, h pipe, dumps) to mac headers, oem H, and tails on my dumps and my car sounds so quiet my header leak is louder than my exhaust now :rolleyes:

The check for the evaporative system is in line with the Cali program to reduce emissions. It seems that more than 80% of the unburned hydrocarbons released are due to the gas tank venting to the open atmosphere.

The evaporative emission control (charcoal canister) on the Mustang is lightweight, doesn't cost any HP and is fairly simple. The main complaint is that it is ugly and takes up space. If that was a qualification to get rid of something, some of us would be done away with too... Maybe we should be more careful so that we don't suffer the same fate as the dinosaurs and become fossil fuel for the next inhabitants of this planet...

The check for the evaporative system is in line with the Cali program to reduce emissions. It seems that more than 80% of the unburned hydrocarbons released are due to the gas tank venting to the open atmosphere.

The evaporative emission control (charcoal canister) on the Mustang is lightweight, doesn't cost any HP and is fairly simple. The main complaint is that it is ugly and takes up space. If that was a qualification to get rid of something, some of us would be done away with too... Maybe we should be more careful so that we don't suffer the same fate as the dinosaurs and become fossil fuel for the next inhabitants of this planet...

I agree completely!!:hail2: