Another Drive, Another Broken Part. However, Catasrophe Avoided. Luck Changing?

92Apocalypso

Mar 7, 2017
So it seems as though every time I drive my LX, something breaks. Literally. Yesterday, I went out for a quick drive to Lowes, and got the all the way home, and went to park out front of my house and BAM! the passenger front of the car just drops and abruptly stops the car. Ball joint snapped. My dust shield dug into my rim and it stopped the car. Friday I literally ordered $1k worth of suspension upgrades, and lower control arms and ball joints werent in there. Needless to say I was really pissed off, but then I remembered that It could have happened when I was doing 60 MPH down a single lane road a few minutes prior..... counting my blessings I suppose? Ill attach some pics in a minute.....

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

pics below

Attachments

• 20170709_160135.jpg
    20170709_160135.jpg
    942.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 20170709_194759.jpg
    20170709_194759.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 20170709_194810.jpg
    20170709_194810.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 156
Jeez man, a friend of mine had that happen when he was cruising down the highway, he spent a month in the hospital.

You've had a very lucky shtty day:nice:.

That taught me to never screw around with old ball joints.

Reactions: 2 users
Couple hours and a ball joint press and you're back in business . Not a biggie . Definitely could have been worse !

Reactions: 1 user
The kid story is great. The balljoint one....not so much.

took us about an hour to rig up a way to get the car on a trailer. the threads were completely stripped off of the ball joint, so the nut wouldn't stay on. I kid you not, we used 2 ratchet straps to hold the wheel/brakes onto control arm. and it actually worked hahaha. car was towed to a buddies garage. control arms and balljoints ordered today. shoutout to Amazon prime. she'll be back on the road in a week or so.

Since it's a 5-lug conversion, were spacers used on the stock ball joints? I'm wondering if the castle nut was "loose" and it caused it to strip out.

not exactly sure, but I can tell you that when I looked at the driver side, it didn't have a cotter pin in it, so I'm guessing that passenger did not either. smh.