Another rear disk question-with a twist-sorry

livenfine

Jun 9, 2003
I already have the cheap 5lug swap.

I'm going to drop my car in class from CP to ESP with the removal of a few mods, including cutting off my MM full lengths SFCs :notnice: In the process, I'd like to add disk brakes. (ESP allows Fox updates from '79 to '93)

The Cobra has rear disk correct? 5-lug, correct?

So my question. Does anyone have a list or a link that lists all the parts I will need to do a true, legitimate, stock swap. I don't suppose the parts have to be Cobra parts, but must be interchangable with them.

On that same note, are the Cobra front rotors and calipers an upgrade from the GT.

Master cylinder?

Sorry-did the searches, couldn't find the answers. Thanks in advance

:)

Vic

• Sponsors (?)

I don't follow on the CP to ESP thing, but we'll look past that. The '93 Cobra has 4 wheel disk brakes, but it was still 4 lug. Only the '93 Cobra R had 5 lug. It was the same brake system found on the '94-04 Cobras, and is also the same system as the M-2300-K, FRPP kit.

If there's any doubt, ask your sanctioning body for a clarification on a rule, if it isn't specific. The '93 R did have 5 lug, 4 wheel disk, so if it just specifies that you have to use a production system, you should be within their guidelines.

SVO's also had 4-wheel disk brakes in 5-lug.

If the rules do allow you to use the brakes off the '93 Cobra R, i would go for them.

Cobra R's use basically 94-98 Cobra disk brakes. Using 99+ Front calipers would technically be illegal because they use larger pistons than the 94-98 units

livenfine said:
On that same note, are the Cobra front rotors and calipers an upgrade from the GT.

'93 Cobra front calipers are same as the regular GT.

Rotors are also the same except the hat is 0.75" taller to match the offset of the rear disk brakes

cjman15 said:
Why'd you have to take off the subframes?

Because I believe the class is limited to parts only available within the years specified.

So for a 79-93 class, you can't use sub frames since they never came on a factory car.

The 93 Cobra and SVO's were factory modified cars, so you may want to look into parts for them. SVO's did come with Koni Adjustable shocks and I think the '93 Cobra R came with a strut tower brace.

cjman15 said:
Why'd you have to take off the subframes?

Click here for the SCCA rules. It's a big file...http://www.scca.org/_filelibrary/File/2005SoloRules.pdf

Look at Street Prepared rules.

Basically, bolt-ons are allowed. Springs, Struts, CAI, headers, Panhard, LCAs, poly bushings, backdate/update-sharing parts between 1979 and 1993. This is just scratching the surface but not jacking rails, no subframe connectors, no braces attached to the firewall, sheet metal-no CF. Unlimited tire size, DOT race tires, stock gearing, etc, etc, etc

livenfine said:
Thanks for the info :)

Anyone know of a company that sells a 93 Cobra R rear brake conversion?

'93 Cobra R rear disk is the same as 94-98 Cobra rear disk

http://www.northracecars.com/catalog/brakes/brakes.htm

Those guys sell it, but you can peice it together for far less.

They also sell the brackets so you can use Fox lenght axles instead of SN95. The difference is the SN95 axles and Cobra brackets will puch each rear wheel out 0.75....which isn't a bad thing for AutoX. Just keep in mind you'll have probs with anything larger than a 17x9 wheel.

9 Deuce GT said:
I believe the '93 Cobra used a bigger front caliper. They were the same as the lincoln fronts, (73mm). They look identicle. You can get them from a parts store cheap, (last time I checked they were $15 a piece).

Nope, only the SVO and Fox Saleens Used the 73mm Caliper. The '93 Cobra used the exact same 60mm caliper as a 87-93 5.0.

Mustang5L5 said:
Nope, only the SVO and Fox Saleens Used the 73mm Caliper. The '93 Cobra used the exact same 60mm caliper as a 87-93 5.0.

Great info. Looks like I'll use the SVO front calipers and the rear disks from the '93 to 98 Cobra. This will be within the guidelines for the rules for autocrossing in the ESP class.

livenfine said:
Great info. Looks like I'll use the SVO front calipers and the rear disks from the '93 to 98 Cobra. This will be within the guidelines for the rules for autocrossing in the ESP class.

You might want to double check with the SCCA that parts from the 107 '93 Cobra R's are legal in the class.

Perhaps you may want to consider running SVO brakes front and rear. The SVO brakes are 11.35" In diameter and use a 54mm caliper. The '93 Cobra R would use a 11.65" rotor and 38mm piston. Both are vented. I think the SVO might have a little bit better bite to it.

I would suggest the SVO rear disk if you are gonna run the 73mm calipers in front because with an SVO master cylinder it will give you better balance.

The downside is the SVO's factory track is wide...about 1.25" wider each side vs a drum brake fox. If you have special offset wheels you can take care of that. Another option is to modify the brackets to run stock offset 5-lug axles. This gives you room to run 9" wide wheels. If that interests you i can get you a link