Another turbo AWD Ford

All that sht talkin I did about torque and now I’m sippin the Kool-Aid too…

2.7TT gets it
E5ADE8C8-BACF-4E8A-BF24-4EDF5BBD45F4.jpeg

I still have my Mustang. Just have to say that so no one questions my sanity. The $11K for my 20 year old truck was too much to turn down. Crazy

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

50CB0B12-FA0D-463A-999D-133E25331A0C.jpeg

I wanted to update this thread with a Dyno graph of the Edge Sport with an E30 tune. Yeah that says 480ft/lbs…
Blows my mind that all I did was plug in a box and this thing destroys the foxbody.
I’ve been rethinking my strategy with my Mustang anyway so it might be time for boost…

Reactions: 1 users

I wanted to update this thread with a Dyno graph of the Edge Sport with an E30 tune. Yeah that says 480ft/lbs…
Blows my mind that all I did was plug in a box and this thing destroys the foxbody.
I’ve been rethinking my strategy with my Mustang anyway so it might be time for boost…
Wow….. that’s impressive. After having my ‘02 F150 since new, with the 5.4, I finally upgraded to an ‘18 (had 19k miles in great shape). My only concern was the 2.7 Ecoboost, but I’m liking it more and more every day, and seeing those torque numbers makes me like it even more! I do miss the v8 exhaust note though.

Reactions: 1 user

That’s a wild number for 2.7l. The torque curve is quite peaked. What is it like to drive in a daily style, and what happens under full throttle? Does the AWD tame it well?
For example, my 91 SHO drove like a regular, healthy V-6, until opened up about halfway through the tach. Then it sounded and pulled like 3 ninja bikes to a surprising RPM. As it had about half the power in a front wheel drive, big car, how similar is the experience?

IMHO,
If you buy an EcoBoost
You had better have a Ford mechanic on retainer
Or plan on laying down for them at the dealer
It costs thousands to clean the intake valves and replace the turbo seals
And do not forget about the 4x4 differential fluid or the cam phasers omg

That’s a wild number for 2.7l. The torque curve is quite peaked. What is it like to drive in a daily style, and what happens under full throttle? Does the AWD tame it well?
For example, my 91 SHO drove like a regular, healthy V-6, until opened up about halfway through the tach. Then it sounded and pulled like 3 ninja bikes to a surprising RPM. As it had about half the power in a front wheel drive, big car, how similar is the experience?
Ethanol tunes are really just bonkers to me. The 93 tune totally changed the car, for sure. But the E30 tune was like “holy sh!t! The tune also changes the transmission shifting characteristics. IMHO, it’s a vast improvement. In “sport” mode on the stock tune, it would hang at 4500-5000in 5th gear sometimes before going to 6. All gone now. In regular drive mode, the shifting is only slightly more firm. Boost comes on fairly early but it feels linear while driving. I can only make it lose traction while brake boosting from a launch. Yesterday the whole family was packed in and we went stoplight to stoplight with an Edge ST, I’m sure on a factory tune. Blew his doors off. Dude pulls up at the next light and asks what’s done to it because it can’t be stock. Wife and I laugh and I tell him just a tune. Guy shakes his head and laughs, says “no way” and turns right. It was so funny, even my daughter was cracking up.
IMHO,
If you buy an EcoBoost
I won’t keep it long enough for any long term wear issues. Cam phasers were an early issue with the 3.5 motors, but the 2.7 motors have been proven reliable for a fairly long production run at this point. Also the revised PTU on these has done pretty well from the forum posts I’ve seen. Especially considering I don’t live in the desert and I don’t tow anything. If it breaks under my ownership, I’ll go from there, maybe auxiliary cooling of some type. Internet horror stories make people think that these issues are more common than they really are. I guess I could have bought a civic or something if reliability was my main concern. Anytime you modify a car, even just a tune, you roll the dice. Gotta pay to play, playa…

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
IMHO,
If you buy an EcoBoost

I don't know where this is coming from. There are now millions of direct injection cars on the road, and there aren't that many major problems. There are plenty of F150s with ecoboosts with very high mileage.

Kurt

None that I am aware of yet (best friend has a new STI )
Anything with DIT in my opinion is a bad plant to own
I owned 2 turbo coupes back in the day and wish I still had one
All those 2.3s ever did was burn valves on 3 and 4
Easy repair 200k later was around 400 bucks
My friend buys so many new cars that I have yet to change the oil on one (2 a year at least)

None that I am aware of yet (best friend has a new STI )
Anything with DIT in my opinion is a bad plant to own
I owned 2 turbo coupes back in the day and wish I still had one
All those 2.3s ever did was burn valves on 3 and 4
Easy repair 200k later was around 400 bucks
My friend buys so many new cars that I have yet to change the oil on one (2 a year at least)
Anecdotal direct injection failure stories are always traded amongst Internet forum members. You’re also referring to power plants that stopped being produced decades ago. Motor technology has changed a little since then…

Looking at Autotrader, there seem to be no shortage of ecoboost powered vehicles with 200,000+ miles on them.

I do not put car repair videos on YouTube because I have enough money and they suck politically but
You should watch Fordtechmakuloko work on a few ecoboost motors doing intake valve cleaning and turbo seals and updated oil feed tubes and the like
It will give you some insight you will not find on the forums you have been reading

Carbon and sludge buildup just comes with direct injection territory. Audis and VWs are notorious for the same issue, that’s from personal experience. All that can be avoided with a good AOS. Nothing brand specific, IMHO, any DI engine should. To each their own I guess…