Any experience with ram clutches?

MysteryMachine

Jun 21, 2003
Parkesburg, PA
I believe my throwout bearing or clutch is going bad. Sometimes it sounds like an elephant when I push in the clutch pedal. I see American Muscle has the Ram HDX with throwout bearing for 184.99 which seems like a good price. Has anybody had any experience with Ram stuff?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm running a Powergrip on my car. Had it on for about 10k miles before the supercharger went on in December and about 3k miles since. Still absolutely zero complaints with the clutch pedal, TO bearing although I deal with the chatter, so people would prefer to not have any. But having loud exhaust, loud brake pads, spherical bushings on the LCA's and a supercharger spinning, I can deal with it..

i had an HDX on my car...pedal was nice but my spec stage 2, centerforce DF, and FRPP King Cobra clutches have all seemed better than this one. They all had a better clamping feel to them and didnt have that annoying chatter....but so far its held up so i guess its not so bad lol

I don't really plan on modding my 96. Hell honestly I can't afford it. So I think I'd be fine with a close to stock rated clutch. I also posted this in the 94-95 section cause that's where I spend most of my time. I was advised to get a Ford throwout bearing even if one comes with the clutch. So maybe that would do away with the chatter

i have the ram powergrip, its not the hdx. im still breaking it in, but it does have just a hint of chatter on take off and reverse. definately something i can live with. i also replaced the tob and pilot bearing with ford racing parts. it definately has a lot of grip to it, and the pedal effort is just a shade above stock. im happy with it.

I have the HDX on my car and it doesn't feel much different than the stocker. Good pedal feel, grips well (can chirp the tires in 2nd and 3rd), and isn't too difficult to press down. The other thing I like is it is easy to slip from a stop. I've heard some of the higher end clutches w/ more torque capacity are like an on and off switch.