Any fans of the BIG 71-73 Mustangs out there?

bkshaw

Jul 2, 2004
Salem, Oregon
If so....what shoud I be looking for when examining a 72 Mustang Coupe?
Should I be looking in all the normal places for rust? The floorpans etc...
Any help would be great...

Bruce

• Sponsors (?)

bkshaw said:
If so....what shoud I be looking for when examining a 72 Mustang Coupe?
Should I be looking in all the normal places for rust? The floorpans etc...
Any help would be great...

Bruce
It's a Mustang so yah. :spot: Other than that sorry I cant help you.

I have a 72 Coupe

Yes I would say check all the normal areas for rust. Also make sure to check in the cowel area, mine has more holes than a block of swiss cheese. I would say to also check the rear inner and outer wheel houses as they see a lot of rust.

Also check the trim level. Is it a plain coupe, a Grande or an olympic special or Sprint?

I am pretty new to this hobby but if you have any specific questions I can try to help you out.

jes72mustang said:
Yes I would say check all the normal areas for rust. Also make sure to check in the cowel area, mine has more holes than a block of swiss cheese. I would say to also check the rear inner and outer wheel houses as they see a lot of rust.

Also check the trim level. Is it a plain coupe, a Grande or an olympic special or Sprint?

I am pretty new to this hobby but if you have any specific questions I can try to help you out.

Thanks for the tips... Yes it is the Sprint Coupe... I am going out there right now to look it over more and make an offer...I did see a little rust behind the pass side qtr panel behind the tire area...but not much.... no rust at all on floor pans or area...

About the cowel area....what is the best way to see rust? (other than the garden hose test...)

Bruce

What about Matching numbers? Casting numbers?

STINGER99 said:
look at the frame behind the steering box and where the shock towers meet the front frame rails, and the cowl is another spot to check, rear frame, but that on all cars. good luck, love those years even if most don't.

Thank you. I am heading out right now (1 hour away) to look more and make offer...

The old lady said they bought it new...and it IS all original (new radiator only)

What about matching numbers and all?
I know every ones asks...but how much is a great deal?
Bruce

Cowl check = remove snap-in plastic cowl vents at the base of the windshield (accessible only with hood open). Look in there with a flash light and reach your arm in and feel around. The passenger side has the chimney, which is usually where the rust starts.

Rear Tail Panel = Carefully inspect the metal all around the tail lights. Also stick your head in the trunk and look under the tail lights for rust.

A rotted out passenger floor is a likely sign of cowl rot.

Inspect the sheetmetal next to the chrome moldings of front and rear windows. Central trunk floor rot could be a sign of rusty rear window ledges or rust holes in the trunk gasket channel.

Rear wheel wells - especially the fender lips - run your fingers all along the inside fender lip.

Rear trunk drop-offs.

Look for rust where the shock towers overlap the inner fenders of the engine compartment.

yep like everyone said check the cowl, i just splashed a massive bucket of water on it, the po didnt like that one bit....but hey whatevers available to do the test, umm....the lower inner quarters or the drop off, try to stick your head up inside the trunk over the inner wheel wells, check the outer quarters up under the body where they were spot welded to the inner quarters, the tail lamp panel for sure.....the front fender apron where the battery chills.....floor pans, check under the dash for rust, the right front floor pan where that little hole is at, that was notrious for all the ones i looked at......thats all i can think of right now..but hey just take your time and check that sucker alllllll over reallllll good.... :nice:

FasterThenU72 said:
yep like everyone said check the cowl, i just splashed a massive bucket of water on it, the po didnt like that one bit....but hey whatevers available to do the test, umm....the lower inner quarters or the drop off, try to stick your head up inside the trunk over the inner wheel wells, check the outer quarters up under the body where they were spot welded to the inner quarters, the tail lamp panel for sure.....the front fender apron where the battery chills.....floor pans, check under the dash for rust, the right front floor pan where that little hole is at, that was notrious for all the ones i looked at......thats all i can think of right now..but hey just take your time and check that sucker alllllll over reallllll good.... :nice:

Thanks guys for all your help. I checked all those areas that you all pointed to.
The only rust was both rear qtr panel area behind the rear tires and the worse was the whole trunk is rusted out. Cowl is ok and floor pans very very clean...battery trey is rusted too. (anyone know where I can get a battery tray?)
Any hints about replacing the trunk bottom?
Bruce

Platonic Solid said:
Eash Image is a Hyperlink to its respective page at MustangsUnlimited.

Thank you so much for the links.
I noticed you say you have a 351C. Some others have tried to help...but too much info for my newbie brain...
What is the easiest way to tell if I have the Cleveland or the Windsor?

good info

FasterThenU72 said:
i got my whole trunk, ie the trunk floor, inner quarters, tail lamp panel, outer lower quarters, front fender apron, and all the battery goodies for i think round 400 bucks, car club discount....just so you get an idea from mustang country

Good info to have.
When you say outer lower quarters....do you mean that you can replace the outer "skin" only?

Bruce
Salem, Oregon

when i say the lower outer quarters i mean the whole deal from the lower half of the wheel well back to the curve leading up to the rear apron and tail panel.... that of which is spot welded to the inner quarters or drop offs on that little lip or seam underneath the car....