Any problem with a tuned vehicle and emissions in MD?

CatmanJJ

Captain Tangnet
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Feb 5, 2002
Maryland
The Nazis sent me a notice for the tax, I mean the time is up for me (well applied for my first extension, lazy) to get my emissions done and was wondering if I will catch any grief at at the VEIP in MD?

I have some mods, nothin crazy like some other cars I see around but, CAMS/LTs/catted x and all my emissions stuff is still there. I don't have a CEL and never had one since I got my car back but my car does have a P1000 code which I read that "drive cycle is not complete" but I've been driving my car far over a year now and almost 6k miles on my rebuilt motor.

I've also done some research and it seems this is a normal code when you have a tuned car with a Diablo Predator...

Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

No idea, but I'd be interested to know as well.

Not throwing a CEL after OR/X, but still worrying when I get the call.

I've heard they just plug in and that's it. No visual, etc.

I get conflicting reports where some say with no CEL I'll be fine and that's from from heavy modded turbo cars with no cats etc...and some say that with the P1000 code it won't pass, there isn't much info but it def varies by state. I also dug up some info where '99 and older you can have two P1000 cycles not ready and in '00 up cars you can only have one P1000 cycle not ready at least in MD.

I was going to get a CAN OBD II reader to see what exactly in the drive cycle isn't ready with the P1000 code I have before I go, that would tell me exactly what isn't ready or not active with the tune...but I'll def have updates, won't be until at least September 22nd now though.

Worse comes to worse I think I'll need to go in for an adjustment on my tune.

Or maybe go back to stock tune, but I'd worry that'd f things up.

I've had them fail me when they detected any codes, never mind the reason. The good news is they are forgiving, at least have been, in giving me additional time to correct the problem. Also, consider an extension, as they will give you a month or two longer.
Good Luck!

After building and putting in my 331, the emissions supervisor was all over my car looking to fail it. He even made me push all the cars in line back because my car wouldn't clear the rollers and drive around so I could back onto the rollers, he was a real A hole. Turns out the 331 had better emissoins than the old stock engine.

The young kid who finished up my paperwork appologized for his boss being an ass and told me to just get a waiver for ride height. For the last 2 emissions tests I just go in the office show them my last passed test, show the car is hardly driven and it won't clear the rollers with the side exhaust. They hand me a waiver.

I hear a lot Corvette owners get waivers in MDfor ride height.

Coming from Arkansas where you could literally get tags for a leaking can of motor oil and drive it down interstate 40 w/o any hassle....f'k the MVA man, really.

After building and putting in my 331, the emissions supervisor was all over my car looking to fail it. He even made me push all the cars in line back because my car wouldn't clear the rollers and drive around so I could back onto the rollers, he was a real A hole. Turns out the 331 had better emissoins than the old stock engine.

The young kid who finished up my paperwork appologized for his boss being an ass and told me to just get a waiver for ride height. For the last 2 emissions tests I just go in the office show them my last passed test, show the car is hardly driven and it won't clear the rollers with the side exhaust. They hand me a waiver.

I hear a lot Corvette owners get waivers in MDfor ride height.

:lol::lol:

I've read on various forums that "being to low" business is going away or they have done away with it now altogether more recently...and my car is ODB-II so it wouldn't go on the rollers anyway (which they've taken out recently anyway).

Anywho, filed for an extension and it's not due until 9/22 now, so I don't care for now, I'm just going to keep going for extensions until they don't let me any more then possibly either set it back to stock and baby it around town so the monitors can complete or I think I will have to get the tune adjusted possibly adjusted so all the monitors can complete.

I've just heard people with no cats and crazier setups then me passing.

....f'k the MVA man, really.

It really is a racket...especially seeing as though my car sits in a garage 90% of the time and I drive my Fusion as a DD nowadays.

Oh well, I'll be sure to keep you guys updated.