Any problem with a tuned vehicle and emissions in MD?

CatmanJJ

Captain Tangnet
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Feb 5, 2002
Maryland
*Posted this in Mid-Atlantic section as well but I figure I'd get more bites here*

Also did a search here and couldn't find anything concrete.

The emission Nazis sent me a notice for the tax, I mean the time is up for me (well applied for my first extension, lazy) to get my emissions done and was wondering if I will catch any grief at at the VEIP in MD?

I have some mods, nothin crazy like some other cars I see around but, CAMS/LTs/catted x and all my emissions stuff is still there. I don't have a CEL and never had one since I got my car back but my car does have a P1000 code which I read that "drive cycle is not complete" but I've been driving my car far over a year now and almost 6k miles on my rebuilt motor.

I've also done some research and it seems this is a normal code when you have a tuned car with a Diablo Predator...

Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

When you say "all my emissions stuff is still there", I assume that doesn't include the original H pipe and its catalytic converters if you've got LTs. The lack of a MIL and presence of the P1000 indicates that the PCM isn't doing all the checks (for instance, the rear O2s may be "turned off") and so you may have issues and not know it.

If they put the car on a rolling road and stick a sniffer up the tailpipe, I'd expect you'll come close with those cams, LTs and whatever cats your have. My car failed a sniffer test with cams and an MRT catted H on stock manifolds and it actually it failed quite badly. When I put the OE H-pipe back on it was nearly indistinguishable from a bone stock sniffer test. That's how good OE cats are and how bad some "high flow" aftermarket cats can be.

When you say "all my emissions stuff is still there", I assume that doesn't include the original H pipe and its catalytic converters if you've got LTs. The lack of a MIL and presence of the P1000 indicates that the PCM isn't doing all the checks (for instance, the rear O2s may be "turned off") and so you may have issues and not know it.

If they put the car on a rolling road and stick a sniffer up the tailpipe, I'd expect you'll come close with those cams, LTs and whatever cats your have. My car failed a sniffer test with cams and an MRT catted H on stock manifolds and it actually it failed quite badly. When I put the OE H-pipe back on it was nearly indistinguishable from a bone stock sniffer test. That's how good OE cats are and how bad some "high flow" aftermarket cats can be.

Sorry it's not stock H, it's SLP LTs and a matching SLP Catted-X...they don't hook you up to a sniffer in MD, only if you are below the OBD line which I believe is '95 and older, which my Ranger is...they used to use the rollers for that. All newer cars they just hook up to your gas cap and then your computer for trouble codes.

If they look at PCM codes then they should fail you if they see a P1000. They're relying on the PCM to do the checks and the readiness code means that the PCM hasn't done all the required tests.

Whether they will fail you or not is another question... :)

It's probably cheaper to at least try first rather than going to all that trouble.

You might canvass a local Mustang club or speed shop to see if they know any "friendly" emissions outlets...

Oh yea def going to try the easy stuff first, I've heard of a few guys that have ran their cars through with no problems. They made it seem like as long as there was no light they were good to go but I've also read some horror stories on the net, mostly NY/NJ, MA and CA guys.

I mean I can prolong it a couple times ie file extension, I just did and I have until 9/22...I think you can file 3 total extensions in MD, but it's just delaying crap...the worst that can happen now is that when I go and if they give me crap about the P1000 code they'll say to drive it around more and come back, not sure how many times that is though....but as it is now I think it's the Predator causing it, I read where some Xcal guys have had similar issues.

I'm just not sure how it seems so many people run around with their cars modded to high hell with blowers and everything making ridiculous power.

Meh maybe I'll get lucky, probably not though. :p