Fox Any tips on replacing a fox body horn?

michaelS

Sep 26, 2022
Chicago
The horns on my 1987 GT convertible foxbody went out. I replaced the horn pad in the steering wheel in case that was the issue, and can tell it's working. The horns are still shorting out and blowing fuses, so I bought some new ones from LMR. I'd rather not pull the front bumper off and all that to access the old horns and swap them out. I think there's a way to get to them through the wheel well, but I'm not sure that will work. Anyone here know the easy way to get at the horns? I really appreciate the help, thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

As stated above and here is a visual:

IMG_6417.png

Ha, rednotch! amazing!

Thank you, Mstng93SSP and 91AOD5.0LX! I read something about the fenders but didn't understand how that would work. The photo makes sense, I'll try going in that way. I appreciate the tip.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are flexible enough, you might even be able to go in under the bottom and not even have to touch the fender line. Put the front end on jackstands and crawl under the front of the wheel looking up. Should be enough gap to reach up and work on the horns. There are two wire connections that just pull off the horn. One connection per horn. Then you just unbolt the horn from the bracket (which also acts as ground)

Another pic for a visual

9AA01EED-A0E7-4222-8A3E-D3F8D8F04F12.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the pic showing me where they should be near the wheel! I took the battery out, hoping I could get in that way, but I'll try your suggestion of going in from underneath before taking the wheel off! Hope so, thank you!