Anybody driven a Tesla yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
We got a model X in trade at the dealership last week. A p90d version to be exact. It's a dorky looking thing, ( kinda Prius on steroids lookin) so I never really gave it a second glance. I had a customer call me that was interested in it, so that forced me to look at it though,.....and when I do, I discover ........"Ohhhh,......this is one of them that has the Ludicrous mode"

For those that don't know, Ludicrous is a button that changes the current the electric motors get. Once that button is clicked, and you mat the pedal,..
You experience 762hp with zero noise, and no tire spin,......and 60 mph comes in one, two, three seconds.

I know my mouth fell open, and all I could say was " Hooollyy shhhtt!

The thing just snorts the tires, and rockets away. If you didn't have your head against the head rest, you'll get it put there in a most forceful fashion. It was by far the most exhilarating 0-60 I've been in in a long time,......and I have had drag cars that cover the whole 1/8 mi in 5 seconds.( but that's been almost 20 years now)

I wish there was a way to convert over to electric that made sense, but I know that the batteries that I could get my hands on would weigh a ton, die quickly, and cost a stupid amount of money. Even though it's been done before a " realistic" 200 mile range electric car conversion is beyond the average joe like me. That day isn't here yet.

But when that day comes,.......the Monster will get electrified.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Never driven a Tesla, but I do lease a Fiat 500e electric, I’m on my second one now actually, The best commuter car I’ve ever had, love it. To really make it work for me, I had to install a fast charger in my garage. In live in Central CA, there was a period of time where Fiat was doing some insane lease deals on these, and with the air pollution rebates being offered, made for a very cheap commuter.

I got to ride in the same car your talking about Mike. The fastest car I’ve ever been in, and I’ve driven some pretty fast cars. 911 turbos, AMG’s, M series BMW’s, etc. your right about that car. We repaired it at the shop I used to work at. After we were done, the owner, some young professional, said “have you ever ridden in one of these?” I said no and off we went. There’s a little stretch of road about 3 miles long by the shop. He stopped the car, put it in Insane mode and floored it. Holy :poo:! He told me that car goes from 0-80 in just under 4 seconds, and it did. We did that a few times and after that we were both feeling sick. I get out of the car, my body was shaking. We both said that’s enough if that. Absolutely the fastest car I’ve been in. Don’t underestimate those Tesla’s.

There are two companies that do electric conversions, I just read about them I think is was in my Hagerty mag.

FiAlz

The P100D is nice platform for out of the box 1/4 mile. Numbers are all over the place depending on who you believe but it's solidly in the sub-11s out of the box.

I am not too impressed outside of the thing's ability to launch. Lateral performance is mediocre and the last time I heard anything about a Tesla and Nurburgring it was a DNF.

They're getting there though. I'm afraid that it is inevitable that our beloved internal combustion motors are doomed to museums. :(

We're all going to be putting playing cards back into the spokes (maybe not us, but our kids). :cry:

Telsas are quite common here in the tech belt that is Eastern Mass. I've ridden in and driven a couple as a few coworkers have X, S and model 3s. I see 2-3 per day.

Local guy has s YouTube channel dedicated to rebuilding teslas from wrecked cars. They've also featured a few conversions. One was a Porsche the other an Audi.

Weird going so fast and not making a sound. If this is the future of mainstream cars in 10-20 years...I'm cool with it.

I got to sit through a " future of BMW " symposium awhile back. BMW ironically is fully embracing 100% electric, with a 2025 target date to release several cars capable of carrying on the reputation they have made for themselves in the auto market.

One motor, two motors, and 4 motor models are on the drawing table ( including M). I drive the stupid little i3 everyday. That car cost me about 2 bucks to drive 200 miles a week. As dorky as it is, I cannot argue that logic out of my head.

That's why the Jag I bought last month is sitting basically in the same spot it did when I brought it home.

I haven't even been in one yet. I've seen a few around here is about it.

I may have previous experience with a blunt similar to Mr Musks' though.........

But the real question is can you put a B cam in a Tesla?
You can put it in the trunk.
The AC induction motor has changed little since Nikola Tesla patented the design in 1888.
What has changed is the controls & the batteries.
We had a running electric car at the university 50 years ago. Controls were electronic but large & complicated, batteries were standard lead acid. Batteries weighed more than the rest of the vehicle. It was very reliable & was used every day.

I have inspected a few for work, to me it's basically a rolling computer with doors.
Almost all the functions are controlled through the center stack, even things like the manuals, HVAC etc.
I have inspected a few with 50k plus miles and haven't been impressed with the fit and quality of the interior.
Interesting technology though, when you walk up with key on you the door handles pop out, get in step on brake and the car comes alive.
The torque of the electric motors are amazing.
I did notice on quite a few that the tire/wheel size had been changed by dealer and no longer matched the tag, not sure why.
Unfortunately there seems to have been a couple of fatalities with their autonomous driving.

Last edited:
FiAlz

The P100D is nice platform for out of the box 1/4 mile. Numbers are all over the place depending on who you believe but it's solidly in the sub-11s out of the box.

I am not too impressed outside of the thing's ability to launch. Lateral performance is mediocre and the last time I heard anything about a Tesla and Nurburgring it was a DNF.

They're getting there though. I'm afraid that it is inevitable that our beloved internal combustion motors are doomed to museums. :(

We're all going to be putting playing cards back into the spokes (maybe not us, but our kids). :cry:
truf

I have inspected a few for work, to me it's basically a rolling computer with doors.
Almost all the functions are controlled through the center stack, even things like the manuals, HVAC etc.
I have inspected a few with 50k plus miles and haven't been impressed with the fit and quality of the interior.
Interesting technology though, when you walk up with key on you the door handles pop out, get in step on brake and the car comes alive.
The torque of the electric motors are amazing.
I did notice on quite a few that the tire/wheel size had been changed by dealer and no longer matched the tag, not sure why.
Unfortunately there seems to have been a couple of fatalities with their autonomous driving.

Autonomous driving...... I am nowhere ready to accept that. As bad as some of the drivers are around here (and there’s some bad ones), I just can’t come to grips with it.

This video shows some of the things I'm afraid of with fully electric and computerized cars. Parking brake fault traced to Hvac leak on a board. Out of warranty teslas should be pricey to fix. Gotta learn a whole new skillset to work on these

View: https://youtu.be/ZSz5Dn0DhAk

A little bit of corrosion and *poof* Shuttle Disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.