anybody else have this problem/symptom?

stang2004

Founding Member
Sep 23, 2001
Northern Jersey
ive got a pro 5.0 if i drive the car for a while, the shifter boot, and console get quite hot, the ashtry door becomes almost hot to the touch, and the little cubby thing under my stereo where i put my phone, it gets hot.. just wondering if this is normal symptom, or if this is execisve :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

do you have the rubber isolator boot (the lower crude one) installed? that thing really helps to keep heat and noise out.....
but that does not sound right (the amount of heat you are seeing/feeling)...esp not near the stereo...

HISSIN50 said:
do you have the rubber isolator boot (the lower crude one) installed? that thing really helps to keep heat and noise out.....
but that does not sound right (the amount of heat you are seeing/feeling)...esp not near the stereo...

i dont know if the rubber isolator boot is installed, i havent taken anything apart to check... yea but it gets very hot, i put my cell phone in that little cubby, and i took it out and it was quite warm,, the door to my ashtray, which is metal, gets almost too hot to put your hand on... i dunno what the problem could be :shrug: the previous owner told me about this, said that it was normal since it doesnt have the heatshielding boot by the shifter :shrug:
im going to swap out the fluids,, maybe it needs that

Sounds like the lower boot is not there. Just pull off the plastic cover and look, if you can see straight through to the ground then you need to get one. 50resto.com has them, since they're made to fit around a stock shifter you have to trim the rubber boot some to get it to fit around your shifter.

You can also get some sound-deadener/heat soak material at your local stereo shop and place it around the shifter base and over the rubber boot. I did this in my street car a while back and it made a big difference, I know what you mean.

First of all, the Pro5.0 has nothing to do with it; second, it should not be getting that hot. I drove for years without that little boot and never got anywhere near that hot, and my car runs hot. That's not it, all it does is keep dirt from coming up- it really isn't any kind of heat shield or insulator. You either have a problem in your transmission that's causing it to turn hotter than it should (when is the last time it was serviced? time to change the fluid?) or you have a blockage somewhere in your exhaust causing the pipes to get to hot (blocked cats? Muffs?) Or your engine is just plain boiling, which I would hope you'd notice. The only thing that ever gets hot is my shift ball, which is common on aftermarket shifters and billet knobs. Your console shouldn't be heating up that bad- warm yes, hot no- either you're exaggerating how hot it really is or something is wrong.

no im defnitely not exagerating, i took my bro for a ride, and i told him to feel the ashtray door, he actually yanked his hand away because it was hot.. i had to tell him its not hot enough to burn you, but its hot enough to not be able to hold your hand there for anylength of time.

now the exhaust is shot, the cats have hose clamps around them,, so it might be execisve heat from the exhaust.

maybe my trans is low on fluid :shrug: this weekend i plan on draining the trans, and refilling it with some REDLINE. anybody tell me how to drain and refill the trans? and what is the capacity?

the exhaust is going on end of this month, middle of next... so hopefully one will solve the problem, and hopefully the REDLINE will help smooth out my difficult/rough shifts :shrug:

If you still have the stock T5, you'll need 2.75 quarts of dexron III ATF. Unscrew the drain plug, drain it out, put it back. Pull the fill screw, fill it up, put it back. It's a PIA, and it should be done once a year.

stangbear427 said:
If you still have the stock T5, you'll need 2.75 quarts of dexron III ATF. Unscrew the drain plug, drain it out, put it back. Pull the fill screw, fill it up, put it back. It's a PIA, and it should be done once a year.

ok, i dont think the trans has ever been drained and refilled, i have a complete maintance history list, and it never states that the tranny was flushed. I was planning on draining the tranny and refilling it b/c my tranny has been a little difficult shifting, maybe the fluid is low and thats why its so difficult :shrug: i was planning on using some Redline.. it was recomended by several people. :shrug: so how do i fill the tranny when the fill hole is on the side? will a funnel fit in there? or do i need a specific tool/funnel to fill it

stang2004 said:
ok, i dont think the trans has ever been drained and refilled, i have a complete maintance history list, and it never states that the tranny was flushed. I was planning on draining the tranny and refilling it b/c my tranny has been a little difficult shifting, maybe the fluid is low and thats why its so difficult :shrug: i was planning on using some Redline.. it was recomended by several people. :shrug: so how do i fill the tranny when the fill hole is on the side? will a funnel fit in there? or do i need a specific tool/funnel to fill it
Ouch, once the damage is done man, you can't fix it without a rebuild - same principle with running an engine with too little oil. Just do the infamous shifter boot trick. Pull the cover and the insulator/rubber boot out of the way, put a tube/hose through there (any thing will really do), then use whatever trick you know of to pour or squeeze it down through it into the tranny. I'm not sure of the capacity, but my t5's official capacity is 3.1 quarts.

im with stangbear - my glovebox manual says the T5OD holds ~2.7 quarts, IIRC.

you will need to use a 3/8" ratchet snub to get the plugs out. i have spare clear tubing from the home store around. i run it down the pass side, from the top of the pass engine bay. i get under, place the tube into the fill hole. then fill from up top.

i run Redline D4, and it seems to work nicely.

good luck.

damn i was hoping to drain and fill my tranny this past weekend, but it looks like its going to have to be done this upcoming weekend... im hoping i can get some hosing, or a long funnel, and pour it through the shifter hole in the interior or something..... wish me luck, and i hope that it works out well :nice:

If you do go through the interior and you use a long hose, go SLOW. If it starts backing up and you have the better part of 3 quarts running down that hose, it will get interesting quick. You'd be amazed how quickly something so simple can go so wrong.