Anybody else itching to put in a T56?

In reading/researching, I found this. Looks like it is possible in a 71-73 Mustang (perfect for me). Although I need a login subscription to view pages 2-3, the first page is free to view. I found it very interesting to say the least. I am starting to bite: line, hook, and sinker.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/03/T56Swap/index.php

Anybody else have any info? If anybody has a login subscription to view the last 2 pages, that would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

I remember reading that article when it first came out (don't have a subscription anymore). There was still a lot of modification required... not a simple install. I am almost positive they had to cut the tunnel.

But can you imagine what life would be like after this install? 2,000 RPM's @ 75 MPH with 4:11 gearing! So sweet!

I would recommend just grabbing the subscription... I think it was only like $14.00 and there are some nice articles.

Best of luck

67topless said:
I remember reading that article when it first came out (don't have a subscription anymore). There was still a lot of modification required... not a simple install. I am almost positive they had to cut the tunnel.

Best of luck
I just read the article and it is by no means a simple bolt in operation. It requires not only cutting the center tunnel but cutting out the front crossmember(the one underneath the oil pan) and replacing it with a custom made bolt in crosssmember.

I have done the T56 conversion in my 66 coupe and while it was a lot of work it was well worth it but depending on your year you will have to cut the tunnel out but even that is not that big of a job. It gave me a chance to bedline and then dynomat the interior while I had the carpet out and to move the battery to the trunck also. I have some pictures on Photobucket that I can give you a link to. If you decide to do this let me know and I'll tell you all I know about bellhousing & clutch actuation options.

if you all do go with a T56 and have the cash get the Viper spec T56 (D&D sells them and i have one in my cobra after the stock T56 said boom). and if you dont have the extra cash at the very minumu get and install a 26 spline iinput shaft. but then your in viper T56 cost.

I am going to back my 428 with a T56 some day. I thought a C6 was huge, How much bigger is a T56? I know The t56 weighs about 125 because I was considering putting one in my 5.0 but opted for the TKO600 for strenght and practicality... at least in that car. My Mach is a different story...
Kevin

Gailahan said:
I would like a T56 but I can't justify the extra cash just for another overdrive versus getting a TKO 600. Not to mention TKO 600's are good to 800hp.....
You need to get to drive both types in an early muscle car and then you will know why. TKO's are nice, but a T56 is heaven at the strip or street.