Anybody ever have a speedo recalibrated? Whats involved?

MustangOwner

Banned
Dec 13, 2006
Hey guys, well i bought a '86 a while back and the last owner put white faced gauges in it. To say the least, its not my taste. I want to put stock gauges back in it. Now whether those gauges were recalibrated or not? I have no idea. The car has been sitting for over 10 years in his shop and never driven cause its a roller. So, i want to either put the stock 85mph ones in OR put in Ford Motorsports 170mph gauges in. How do you get gauges recalibrated? Is it very hard/expensive
? Or do you guys rec. a different gauge? I want a nice stock black looking gauge. But i think 85mph is not enough, because i do over that on the highway at times and would like to know how fast i'm going.

Edit: I'm not even sure if they are gauges, they could be "gauge covers". Do they even make those? That'd be awesome cause i could just remove them then. But yeah here is a pic.

View attachment 343939

I'm also taking out the tach and other 2 gauges in the center console. All of them have custom plates made(Very nicely done i may add) that i'm going to remove and put the stock heater controls and the monitoring system/clock panel back in. Its a 19k mile car and the original owner planned to make it a drag car. I'm glad he was smart enough not to cut or drill holes into that dash! Luckily i can just replace it without ever knowing it was there. Have you guys ever seen a Steering wheel like that before? I guess its a Momo. Pretty sick looking i think. I was going to put the leather SVO one on until i saw it up close in person.

Is there anyway i can tell if those white faced gauges that are in it a cover or an actual replacement gauge without taking apart the dash?

• Sponsors (?)

I believe those are the same stickers that are on my car just pull em off witha heat gun. As far as calibration just match your speedo gear with your rearend gears and your done!!

Thanks man, Well i thought they were a "cover" because the car only has 19k and the speedo says 19k... so if you put in new gauges it would read differently.

Hey guys, well i bought a '86 a while back and the last owner put white faced gauges in it. To say the least, its not my taste. I want to put stock gauges back in it. Now whether those gauges were recalibrated or not? I have no idea. The car has been sitting for over 10 years in his shop and never driven cause its a roller. So, i want to either put the stock 85mph ones in OR put in Ford Motorsports 170mph gauges in. How do you get gauges recalibrated? Is it very hard/expensive
? Or do you guys rec. a different gauge? I want a nice stock black looking gauge. But i think 85mph is not enough, because i do over that on the highway at times and would like to know how fast i'm going.

Edit: I'm not even sure if they are gauges, they could be "gauge covers". Do they even make those? That'd be awesome cause i could just remove them then. But yeah here is a pic.

View attachment 343915

I'm also taking out the tach and other 2 gauges in the center console. All of them have custom plates made(Very nicely done i may add) that i'm going to remove and put the stock heater controls and the monitoring system/clock panel back in. Its a 19k mile car and the original owner planned to make it a drag car. I'm glad he was smart enough not to cut or drill holes into that dash! Luckily i can just replace it without ever knowing it was there. Have you guys ever seen a Steering wheel like that before? I guess its a Momo. Pretty sick looking i think. I was going to put the leather SVO one on until i saw it up close in person.

Is there anyway i can tell if those white faced gauges that are in it a cover or an actual replacement gauge without taking apart the dash?

wow them seats are C-L-E-A-N

wow them seats are C-L-E-A-N

you can't even tell from the pictures. You have no idea how clean this baby is. Its only got 19k on it so thats probably why. I swear i could sell those seats for a fortune. Its like the guy took off the plastic rap before i came and looked at it:rlaugh: I'm just getting it ready for the 347 ysi :D

Is the speedo accurate at all??

I have no idea. It works... ha. I assume not because the car has been sitting for over 10 years and he tore it down planning to make it a drag car, but never got an engine or anything in it... so i don't think he ever got to drive it with the speedo in. And dumb me didn't even bother looking to see what the mph went up to. Cause if its 85 then its the stock cluster with a white cover. But i won't see the car until Jan. 4th. I have it in storage and i'm gotta pay rent for it. I'm bring the car home i April. Just thought i'd toy around with some stuff i want to change.