Anybody here ever rebuild a modular?

Rootus

Officially Addicted
Feb 8, 2003
Portland, Oregon
How hard is rebuilding the bottom end of a modular engine, as compared with a pushrod Windsor engine? Assuming nothing needs to be done with the heads, other than removing/reinstalling.

Just curious... (no, nothing is wrong with my Cobra, before anyone asks :)).

• Sponsors (?)

I have built a few. The main difference between the two are the clearances. You also have to find a machine shop that knows what they are doing and have the torque plates needed to do the job correctly. The second difference is that you have to replace ALL the bolts in the engine any time it comes apart.

AllFordPerf said:
I have built a few. The main difference between the two are the clearances. You also have to find a machine shop that knows what they are doing and have the torque plates needed to do the job correctly. The second difference is that you have to replace ALL the bolts in the engine any time it comes apart.

Now this guy knows his stuff. :D
We've built a bunch of them as well. Like Jeff said, clearances are critical and they must be torque plate honed. I'd only trust a couple machine shops in the area to build one. We own a torque plate for modulars that we rent out to a couple machine shops so if you have a machinist that doesn't have one let us know.

Tylerb59 said:
Why a 3v though?
Because it is the default engine in a 2005 Mustang GT :D.

I've already basically given up on the idea. What I was daydreaming about was taking a 2005 Mustang GT, and giving it 03/04 Cobra performance. Thus the question about rebuilding a modular -- it's very expensive to pay someone else to do the work, but I'm not sure if it's something I could do myself for mostly just parts cost, if I stayed away from the most complex parts (heads).

But after running the numbers... $5K for the Whipple, $2K for the forged internals (parts only!), plus a couple grand for a tranny upgrade. Plus brakes to match the power. Plus $27K for the car itself...

The daydreaming is over, I'm back to sitting on my butt waiting for the GT500.

Dave