Anybody know what this means....

• Sponsors (?)

actually, they are for a 97 cobra................which i think might have 2 intake ports on each cylinder if i remember correctly, so you might be on to something.

correct, 97 cobra... has a butterfly that opened and closed one of the two runners in the intake depending on RPM. many people removed the butterfly as the 97 liked boost and the butterfly was not need ona boosted engine. more or less the first 4v heads.. ultra crap.

Torinalth

Ok, but say you're going to port and polish those heads, do you still want to remove the butterflys if the motor will be naturally aspirated? (no turbos or supercharger)

Ok, but say you're going to port and polish those heads, do you still want to remove the butterflys if the motor will be naturally aspirated? (no turbos or supercharger)

Depends. If you are planing to run a 4v motor in a gt using the 2v processor then YES because you don't have the drivers in the processor to run the IMRC anyways.

Without them you will loose some low end tourqe so i would go atleast 4.10's if not 4.30's

I think Ford can reflash the 2V computer for 4V. You don't need IMRC on N/A cars. There are lots of engineering blunders on the all Cobras. Stuff that was a good idea, but not a good practice. The IMRC was to shut down one of the intake valves on each pair to aid in low end torque. It was suppossed to open at like 3500 or so to allow full flow. Ditch them. My friend's '98 Cobra's IMRC's quit opening. We took all the blades off, and reinstalled the black spacer they live in. There is a bar that runs through the black spacer. The blades are bolted to it. Either you put the bar in by itself, or you take some epoxy (or plastic weld) and fill the holes where the blade went. I didn't notice a difference when the IMRC's were working on my friends Cobra. It actually ran better at all RPM's without the IMRC plates installed.

You also need the actuator for the IMRC's. It is an electro-mechanical device. It lives under the Cobra intake. They connect to the IMRC's with two cables.

Right, I was thinking that, and now I'm thinking that I'm going to have the motor dyno tuned when I'm all done anyway, so isn't that going to be programming the computer for optimum performance, hence I can forgo the Ford reprogram? Thoughts?

A good tuner could probably reprogram it to whatever. Ford makes changes to the program all the time. Handheld tuners only access parts of the program, not the core. The core part might only be accessible by Ford and their software. I imagine this is the part that tells the car what type it is. I am not 100% sure. You'd have to ask your tuner. Also, you have to know what your looking at. Their is no operating system per say. It is all written in assembly langauge and coded. I can damn near read hexadecimal and binary like the guys in the Matrix movies, but without the commands sheet, you'd never know what does what.