Anybody running the cheapo Summit or Jegs exhaust system?

Merle

Mar 24, 2003
They both sell what seems to be the same exhaust system with turbo mufflers. I recently bought a 94 GT and am trying to do it on a very tight budget. I've had several fox cars, but this is my first SN-95 and have noticed the lack of parts availability. I'm wondering about the sound level versus the Flowmaster 40s. I know sound is very subjective. Thanks for any replies.

Summit catback

sum-680793.jpg

Attachments

• sum-680793.jpg
    sum-680793.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 371
  • Sponsors (?)

Yes. They both sound pretty cool actually. HOWEVER be warned, the system does not always fit correctly and it can have big time rattles over bumps or when you nail it. Very annoying.

A lot of times budget stuff is later replaced with nicer parts. For a couple hundred more you can do a Bassani BX exhaust. I know you mentioned wanting to stay on a low buck theme but it's something to ponder. Good luck with it.

We put a Summit exhaust on my uncle's 2006 GT. It sounded good but after about 4 months he swapped it off for American Thunders and the only thing he regretted was spending the money twice.

I regretted it because there is nothing I hate worse then exhaust work!

Anyway, if you are looking for that "flowmaster sound" then get flowmasters. If you want to cheap it out, then buy just the mufflers and have them weld it into your stock pipes.

Adam

those mufflers will not sound anything like flowmasters if that is the sound you want. the flowmaster is a chambered muffler. my neighbor has that kit on his 83gt and it sounds decent but probably not the sound you are looking for. i have the jegs offroad x pipe on my car and have absolutely no complaints. it fit well, was easy to install as it came in 3 pieces and sounds decent.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not necessarily looking for the flowmaster sound. I've had several flowmaster exhausts in the past, and may be getting a little old for the "drone". I was actually looking for something a bit quieter at 2000 rpm, so thought the turbo mufflers may be a little quieter. Based on the feedback about fit, I may just get the American Thunder system and be done with it, because I hate exhaust work too!