Anybody use a carb style intake

martyd

Nov 15, 2008
TN
With a adapter and throttle body? Kinda like GM did with the lsx style crate engine? The reason I ask is because all the efi style manifolds worth a crap seem to go for $350+ and I thought maybe this maybe a cheaper alternative.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, there's kinda more to it than just getting a carb intake and throwing a throttle body on it. For starters, most of the ones you will see are Victor Jr intakes, which will breath clear up to 8k RPM and are borderline overkill for your typical street car so you can expect to loose some bottom end. Second, those intakes are tapped to accept injectors and fuel rails. Then there's the 90 degree elbow itself which isn't cheap either. Coast High Performance sell a kit, i think they call it a spider intake or some crap...either way you might wanna check into the pricing on these setups because i don't think you'll be saving much if any money vs. a typical EFI intake, unless you have the means to do the work to the intake yourself to use it with injectors, but then you're still shelling out cash for the elbow which i wouldn't be surprised is $100-$200, and unless you get a used Victor Jr, they're in the $250 range so you could likely pick up a nice used EFI intake and save yourself the trouble for the same amount of cash, and end up with a longer runner intake and not lose any torque. In the end you don't need an intake setup like this anyways unless you build a stroker or at least a very health h/c/i combo that can run at least 6500RPM.

Ditto to the above thread...Look into Professional Products Typhoon intake, they are not to expensive....The same company offers carbed intakes and I think some that are modified to accept injectors. These intakes may need a little cleanup to smooth out the runners but they work...

Kelly

How much am I going to need to clean the runners on a Typhoon? I am just weighing my options as the first thing I am doing is a set of shorties, o/r x pipe, and a set of mufflers, then gears. I plan to follow this up with the Intake manifolr, then a throttle body and maf. Then I think I'll be about maxed out on what I want to do before starting to search for a set of heads.

You can clean up aluminum intake ports with a dremel and some sanding rolls..not a lot of work required really. I would be looking for a used intake that's better than the Typhoon, for maybe the same price.

You are doing the TB/EGR and intake at the same time, right? It doesn't make much sense to do them separately, but if anything, I'd go in this order:

1. Bigger MAF
2. TB/EGR
3. Intake

I also second the motion not to go with a carb style intake. You might run into more trouble than its worth.

I planned on all 3 at the same time, I feel no need to slap one on without the other because of the whole bottle neck affect. To tell the truth it's hard for me to do any of it w/o doing something to the heads or should I say with the heads. I'd say the stock units would make great boat ancors

I planned on all 3 at the same time, I feel no need to slap one on without the other because of the whole bottle neck affect. To tell the truth it's hard for me to do any of it w/o doing something to the heads or should I say with the heads. I'd say the stock units would make great boat ancors

I'd say you'd be right. The intake is a fair amount of work, and its not much more to get those heads off.

I really just want the car to be a little more fun to drive. I assume it has 2.73 or 3.08 gears in it now and is bone stock other than me taking the silencer out of the air box and putting a k/n drop in filter in. I also cut the cats off it and bypassed my smog pump with a shorter belt. I just cant really tell any difference and if there is any it is from about 3000rpm up. I know I need a set of gears in a bad way but at the moment cant pay $200+ to get them installed along with the $175+ of the gears. I can do a few breathing mods for cheap by way of the junkyard and late 90's explorers. The car as of now feels really slow to me.

Go the Explorer SN95 route. It can be done for really cheap if you have the patience to look around for the right lower intake.

1: Get the MAF meter off of a 94/95 GT Mustang. It's a 70 MM unit and it is "calibrated" to work correctly with 19 pound injectors and the A9L Mustang computer. There is a lot of very usefull info on the swap in this thread. http://forums.stangnet.com/616246-94-95-maf-install-completed.html The thread is kinda long but worth reading all the way through to get the most info.

2: Get a Ford Explorer upper and lower intake. This really is just a bolt on affair and all you have to do is tap the lower for the ACT sensor and reroute the vacuum lines. These intakes are readily available at junk yards. This is the same intake as the Cobra and GT-40. The only caviat to the Explorer is if you want to use your EGR system. The early Explorer intakes 95/96 used an internal EGR that is compatable with the Mustang's EGR system. 97 and later Explorers used an external EGR that is modifyable (sp) to work but can be a lot of trouble in doing so. You can recognize the early manifold by the small hole right between cylinder runners.

3: While your getting the Explorer intake grab the throttle body too. It is a 65 MM unit that takes a small amount of modification to work with the Mustang linkage.

These mods should net you a decent increase, probably around 25 horsepower.