Anybody used stock Ford parts for a Hydraulic Clutch?

• Sponsors (?)

Probably a long shot, but...

Any chance someone here has used stock Ford parts to convert over to a hydraulic clutch setup?

I found an excellent candidate for the slave cylinder, from a Ford F150. 1" bore, 2" stroke, the master cylinder could be made to work if I make a scab plate for the engine side of the firewall. But that would be tough to make look good.
I'm thinking about the M.C. from a Turbo coupe (right bore and stroke). I just need to see how it mounts to the firewall.
So, I'm hoping someone has all ready done this (or similar), and would be willing to share the information.
Otherwise, In a few weeks, I'll have a whole new topic to post about :rolleyes:
Thanks in advance!

I hope you make it work and tell us how you did it. I had thought about it, but the potential donor F-150 I saw had a plastic line from the master to the slave. I couldn't see how it disconnected, and wasn't even sure if it could without destroying it. The master had a fairly large flange at the firewall, but that would be hidden by the brake booster.

i've seen it done using a mid 90's ranger clutch master but for the life of me can't remember where i've seen it, probably since i can't even own anything with a manual trans anymore because of my arthritis and fibromayalgia.

Great write up! Thank you very much for posting that. Your friend did an awesome job.
Here is a picture of the same Master cylinder in the Mustang. In order to get it upright, the cylinder would need to move over 1", even to clear a stock "jelly jar" master cylinder. So, while it could be made to work, it would not be an optimal setup.

Did you see how he made the push rod spacer to offset the clutch master from the brake master? I would assume for just that reason.

I dont know if this helps but here is the master for a 94 F150. If you want any more pics let me know. I havent messed with the master but have replaced the slave and it wasn't too bad and yes it has the plastic lines.

Attachments

• tmpphpgyTXKi.jpg
    tmpphpgyTXKi.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 259
  • tmpphpCTvqwS.jpg
    tmpphpCTvqwS.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 246
I hope 66Runt(Scott??) comes back soon with an update. I have tried to use a cable setup on my 67 only to melt the casing every time. My headers run about 1 1/2" in front of the bell housing boss and have a slot about 1/2" wide to pass the cable through. Anyway I ordered a JMC kit from mustangsunlimited on April 3rd. At this point both JMC and Mustangsunlimted have stopped answering my emails about "when will I get it" type questions. Therefore I am looking for a new way to do this. Modern drivelines kit looks promising but would still need a slave setup. It just seems prudent to try and make something which is readily available at the local parts store work for when things go to sh%^$. Scott love your website, please keep up the good work.

Edit: I heard from JMC and they cannot tell me when I will recieve my kit. Looks like I'll be building my own also.

Thanks for the information

Scott, thanks for the reply and info. I think I'll have to study it some to understand all of what your talking about. I have seen a good "how to" on using the CNC but I thought JMC got his parts from CNC and I was told that CNC went out of business. I guess thats what I get for not verifing myself. I'll call them tomorrow.:nice:

PS: I got an email from JMC today and was told they had no idea when they would be able to supply kits.:notnice:

CNC is not out of business!

I spoke with a nice lady at CNC this morning and they are not out of business. In fact she said she had a large box of master cylinders for JMC ready to go out. When I asked why they were not being shipped she didn't answer. So I suggest that maybe JMC wasn't paying their bill to which she had no comment. So for whatever reason, JMC has cylinders ready to put in kits and ship if they can get them from CNC. CNC also stated they have a 4 to 6 week back-order on the standard 711 3/4" master cylinders. I called Mckenzies in Cali. and they confirmed 4 to 6 weeks backlog on the 711 3/4" but could get 5/8" faster. With buying the pieces instead of the kit you still have to do some fabrication. I think I'll hit the wrecking yards myself this weekend and hold off on canceling my previous order. Maybe with luck I can get a system to work or get my kit from JMC shortly. Thanks for the great information you are providing here.

it's all over other internet forums that CNC is on it's way out. the way i understood it was that they were retiring and as yet had no buyers interested in pursuing the business. the whole thing kinda reminded me of what happened with TCP before Alston bought them out to be honest