Anybody using an oval Cobra air cleaner on a small block?

I was planning on adding polished cobra valve covers and matching oval air cleaner to the 289 w/windsor heads in my '70 fb but have concerns that the air cleaner will look too big relative to the size of the engine. The air cleaner measures 21" long, that's longer than the engine I think. Anybody using one of these on a small block that can persuade me that it doesn't look too big? Love to see some pics.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, hiding the carb is one concern I have but I also worry it will not clear the one piece export brace. Also, I have a spacer on top of my carb so that my current air cleaner (14" Morosso) will clear the dist and monte carlo bar. I cut a hole in my hood for clearance and am also worried about the oval air cleaner clearing that. I think I'll cut out a mock piece and see how it fits. 70MACH1 is using an oval air cleaner but I notice that he has no export brace or monte carlo bar. Wonder if fit is the reason?

Here's a side shot of a 302 with the valve covers/air cleaner you're talking about.

IM000419.sized.jpg

And attached is the engine in the car.

-Hurt

Attachments

• Engine Resized.jpg
    Engine Resized.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 2,947
I have a straight monte carlo bar that I put a slight bend in to get behind my distributor. I made the mock air cleaner and it looks like I need to keep the spacer I have on top of my carb in order for the air cleaner to clear the dist., monte carlo bar and the export brace unless the actual air cleaner sits forward of center on the carb. The problem then is that the overall height is too high and will hit the hood. Need to do some more checking though.

my question is this; is there any issues with a late 66 style motor mount, a performer intake, and the cobra air cleaner? im figuring the fiberglass shelby hood should give me some clearance, but is it enough?

I have the TCP motor mounts, weiand stealth intake and a 1" spacer (so the air cleaner would clear the MSD distributor) and it barely clears the stock hood. I can't say for sure on your setup, but I'm guessing it would be about the same height as mine or less.

-Hurt

I don't think the Cobra air cleaner will fit on my car since it won't clear the cut out in the hood at the height it would have to sit above the carb to clear the MSD dist. So, I'm now thinking about an oval Roush air cleaner like this one only all polished. Then I'd paint the part that is black in the pic blue and paint the lettering on the valve covers to match. Either that or I'll go with another round one but small than the 14" Morosso I have now. Probably a 10" polished alum.

Attachments

• 832dl342alfspc.gif
    832dl342alfspc.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 350