Anybody using these headers?

65fastbackresto

Apr 13, 2007
AR
Patriot Tri-Ys. Ceramic coated, long tubes. Part#PTE-H-8426-1 on Summits website. They sure look good, but fit means everything.

If anyone knows about these fill me in please.

65 Mustang 6 cyl to V-8 conversion.

• Sponsors (?)

I had issues with the clutch rod hitting them in a Maverick.
If you don't have a manual tranny, than this isn't an issue.
If you do have a manual tranny... gotta wonder if it was a Maverick thing, or if the Stang rod is similar. My guess is since it is an SBF with toploader, the clutch rod couldn't be much different.
Otherwise, I liked the headers.

I also had an issue with the pitman arm hitting a tube, however, that part is a Maverick thing. The Stang is different.

On a 65/66 Mustang they will also hit the z-bar slightly (with a little grinding its no problem).

Besides the z-bar issue, no other problems on a 66 with stock heads and PS that I could remember. After I switched to raised exhaust ports (0.4 inch) on my aluminum heads - passenger side shock tower was rubbing and stock starter was too close to attach the battery cable (a little hammering fixed those problems).

Over all - they look great and tuck nicely for lowered cars. :nice: If you want or need to see them in a '66 engine compartment, let me know. I can post some pics.

These are Shelby-type Tri-Ys. They need '66-up motor mounts (not the 65-early'66 ones that lower the engine). Most of the other restrictions are for manual tranny cars. Note that these use 1 1/2" primary, 1 3/4" secondary, and 2 1/2" collector tubes. For your mild 300hp build, they shoulf be fine. If you decide to build for more power, you should step up to 1 5/8" primary tubes.

I got adjustable motors mounts

Can slide 1 inch side to side, and 3 inch forward and back in the engine bay.

The Patriots are like $286, the next step up is for a tuned header, whatever that is, a Hooker for like $550 or so. I want ceramic, cause I`ve seen old headers that aint, and they get real ugly after awhile.

The picture of the header on the Patriot website shows a non-coated header (just black paint). That is consistent with what the Shelby header looked like. These will rust. Patriot also carries Doug's headers (which they bought from Doug Thorley). I bought the 1 5/8" pronary, 2" secondary, 2 1/2" collector Tri-Y from Doug. Terrific fit. They were somewhere between $400-500 at the time. The Doug's are pn D690YA and come coated as standard now.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DOU-D690YA&N=700+115&autoview=sku
is the Summit page. You get what you pay for in headers.

Can slide 1 inch side to side, and 3 inch forward and back in the engine bay.

The Patriots are like $286, the next step up is for a tuned header, whatever that is, a Hooker for like $550 or so. I want ceramic, cause I`ve seen old headers that aint, and they get real ugly after awhile.

My 130 dollar heddman longtubes fit pretty well and were.. well... 130 bucks. And this is on a 351w in a 66... a much tighter fit (though its with an auto...). I know they make a ceramic version too, and i don't imagine it'd be th at expensive (i seem to think its in the 250-300 range).

The length and size of the header tube(s) have an effect on power. They can be made to best scavenge exhaust gases at a particular RPM. This kind of "tuning" takes into account how your motor is built and where you want the power band (what RPM range). It may also denote that the primary tubes are of equal length, although they should just say that if that is what is meant. Basically, you can use exhaust piping in the same way that you use intake runner length/size to influence where your power will be in the RPM range.

For street use (up to 6000 RPM range) in a 350-450 hp motor, I would recommend a 1 5/8" primary tube. These are readily available because they tend to work best on most small blocks. For a 300 hp motor, you can get away with 1 1/2" on the tri-y. For a 300hp motor, I wouldn't get very excited about having a tuned header. Just get something of good quality and fit.