Anyone done a 9" swap with 11" drums ?

D.Hearne

Sep 29, 2000
south louisiana
I'm working on swapping a 9" into my 77 Comet. I'm using the rear drums from an 81 Bronco (full size) same brakes used on F150's. But I though I could just use drums for an early 80's F100, but apparently those got smaller 10" drums. I need 11 x 2.5 drums with a 5 x4.5 bolt pattern. Anyone got any ideas on what application that was from ? Mid 70's full size Ford is one, but I'm not sure of the bolt pattern, that could be 5 x 5 like the big Lincolns.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm working on swapping a 9" into my 77 Comet. I'm using the rear drums from an 81 Bronco (full size) same brakes used on F150's. But I though I could just use drums for an early 80's F100, but apparently those got smaller 10" drums. I need 11 x 2.5 drums with a 5 x4.5 bolt pattern. Anyone got any ideas on what application that was from ? Mid 70's full size Ford is one, but I'm not sure of the bolt pattern, that could be 5 x 5 like the big Lincolns.

What is the rear end from? --I'm guessing it's a large bearing since you are looking to use the brake assemblies from a truck. Most of the '65-'79 Ford half ton trucks used 11" x 2¼" rear drums with 5-on-5½" lug patterns.

It's very difficult to get individual replacement parts for early model large drum assemblies --especially if someone is looking for drum brake parts for the '57-'59 Ford big car 9-inch rears.

I had a '57 Ford station wagon large bearing 9-inch housing that came with 11" x 2" wide drums. When I put the 9-inch rear end under my '66 fastback, I robbed some rear drum assemblies from a '65-'67 Ford Galaxie that measured 11" x 2½ with a 5-on-4½" lug pattern. --this may be an alternative for you if you can locate a Galaxie of those year models.

Nevermind, Summit carries the drums these are Ford racing's part numbers FMS-M-1126-B @ $38.50 each. The brakes are off an 81 Bronco rear. Going on a narrowed 9" rear housing I bought off ebay. It was cheaper to buy this housing than to narrow the Bronco rear. Using the chunk out of the Bronco rear too----31 spline Trac-loc with 3.50's. I thought about the 70's fullsize brakes but Advance's site doesn't give the bolt pattern, some of these were 5x5. Advance's prices were $20 a drum (at least) over Summit's.

When I did my swap (57 9" rear end into a 1966, similar to ultrastang) I found a complete and ready to run set (11" drums, backing plates and hardware) on eBay for $100. The PO said that the drum set was refurbished from Currie but the backing plates have "Ford" stamped on them.

Good luck with your project.

I've got a pair of 11"x 2.25" in the garage off a 57" country squire. I rebuilt them several years ago but they still have most of the pad on them.

I took the whole assm. off when I did a rear disk swap. I had a buyer for them at the spring swap at Columbus, but I think he had a small bearing rear. Let me know your housing end measurements if your interested.