Anyone drilled/tapped Heads for Stud Mount Roller Rockers?????

bretamo

May 13, 2005
Has anyone drilled and tapped Ford Racing GT-40 heads for Roller Rocker Studs? If so, what do you need and how do you intelligently approach and advise a machine shop? (Do I need the roller rockers and studs on hand?)

Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

If you know what you are doing the only thing you have to have the machine shop do is machine down the pedistals/boss (if rail heads converting to non rail heads). I have drilled and tapped holes for rocker arm studs before.

Well, yes it can be done - but are all the studs in at the exact right angle (valve train geometry is critical) - not likely if it's done by hand. Even if it's done with a drill press, the head has to be clamped at the right angle and moved to the exact right location for the RIGHT valve tip-to-stud center-to-pushrod center.

You want to shade tree it, go right ahead......

tmoss said:
Well, yes it can be done - but are all the studs in at the exact right angle (valve train geometry is critical) - not likely if it's done by hand. Even if it's done with a drill press, the head has to be clamped at the right angle and moved to the exact right location for the RIGHT valve tip-to-stud center-to-pushrod center.

You want to shade tree it, go right ahead......

+1

I think it is one of those things if you have to ask how to do it, then you shouldn't do it. The time that it is easy is converting a early 289 head to screw in rocker arm stud, if you use the right stud, no machining or drilling is nesscary, just tapping.

Thanks for the responses - I'm leaning toward taking that "if you had to ask, don't do it" advice, since you'll see in another thread that I and ARP-Bolts is not sure which rocker studs to use for this goal. I need to get this project done in a week. More news at 11:00.

If you didn't have to ask, it's because you already KNEW better than to try and do it by hand. hehehe

Definitely have it done by a machine shop unless you have a press and jig out in your garage already. :)