Anyone else have problems with the rear diff. leaking?

Jun 15, 2005
My rear diff was leaking, so I took it off, scraped all the **** off, sanded it, and resealed it.

Was a fine for a while.

A month later the damn thing is leaking again...

Im about 99% sure its the actualy diff cover, the fluid is right at the bottom where the cover meets the diff.

• Sponsors (?)

I've never had trouble with a diff cover sealing. The cover is flat and not warped or anything wierd?

When my pinion seal was leaking, the drips always dropped from the diff cover. You might want to pass your finger along the bottom of the housing between the pinion seal on the cover to see if there's any oil/grease there. If so, you know it's the pinion seal.

I've never had trouble with a diff cover sealing. The cover is flat and not warped or anything wierd?

When my pinion seal was leaking, the drips always dropped from the diff cover. You might want to pass your finger along the bottom of the housing between the pinion seal on the cover to see if there's any oil/grease there. If so, you know it's the pinion seal.

Oh...how hard is it to change the pinion seal?

I beleive the pinion seal can be changed without disassembling the whole rear end. You just have to remove the driveshaft. My pinion seal was leaking because the pinion bearing was toast and causing too much play, so I had to take everything apart anyway... so I don't know for sure.

What are you using to seal the cover? I always wipe it clean and apply silicon sealant, no gasket. I suppose it is possible because of overtorquing the bolts, but if you overtorqued the bolts, make sure your the bolt holes along your cover are still flat and not protruding. If they do proturd out from overtorquing, you might be able to bang them flush again with a hammer.

I alway give it time for it to dry before I torque them down, like I leave it over night, then the next morning I torque it down, in a circle montion, then fill the fluid. use grey rtv.