Anyone every had the guts to do a roof swap???? (PICTURES)

khank1995

Dec 13, 2012
Lockport IL
Hey guys I own a 88 lx hatchback with a sunroof. The problem is that the roof has major rust and cracks. My solution was to go pick up a new hardtop roof to replace it. I've done minor fabrication work and my dads going to help me with getting the right cuts. What I am curios about is how should i support the whole body when i cut the roof off. I was thinking of running 4x4's under the body to help support the car from warping. I'm also taking everything out before I do this... engine, interior, trans, ect.. If anyone has any suggestions please I am all ears. I'm on a low budget so this is one of the best solutions for me. Thanks
20121202_152321.jpg

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 154
  • new roof.jpg
    new roof.jpg
    814.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 20121206_153951.jpg
    20121206_153951.jpg
    964.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Sponsors (?)

If your car hasn't got them already, I suggest welding in a set of full length sub frame connectors before you go cutting anything. Afterwards, place your jacks under the sub frame connectors to take the weight out of the middle. Since you're painting the car anyway, I'd even consider temporarily tac welding cross bars within the door frames to keep it in place.

yeah im going to look into sub frame connectors. thanks gearbanger! Im going to try the roof skin romoval in that video I talked to a fabricator and told me exactly what I should do to make it look clean. I am going to make a forum of the whole restoration.

I do body work for a living and can tell you that you dont have to worry about supports because all you will need to replace is the actual roof skin which is only the outer sheet metal. Nothing will change because the inner structure will hold everything from moving. I cant tell you how many roofs ive changed but its been a bunch.

I do body work for a living and can tell you that you dont have to worry about supports because all you will need to replace is the actual roof skin which is only the outer sheet metal. Nothing will change because the inner structure will hold everything from moving. I cant tell you how many roofs ive changed but its been a bunch.
I thought that too but he is switching from sunroof to solid roof. The inner will be different. Im sure it would work but head liner and dome light would be an issue. I'd for sure use some duramix expanding foam between the two layers.

Yeah i'm defiantly doing the skin replacement. I'm going from a sun roof to the solid i will probably add the cross support on the top for the light (which i already bought). Hey Pearlnotchback how do i find the spot welds on the body of the roof?? I know where the ones are by the windows and I believe i found where its connected at on my donor roof but I don't see any welds.

Yeah i'm defiantly doing the skin replacement. I'm going from a sun roof to the solid i will probably add the cross support on the top for the light (which i already bought). Hey Pearlnotchback how do i find the spot welds on the body of the roof?? I know where the ones are by the windows and I believe i found where its connected at on my donor roof but I don't see any welds.
You will have to pull the winshield and the welds will be on the pinch weld and on the sides the welds are under the roof rail trim. You will have to section the panel in the winshield posts and the sail panels. I would come down the posts and sail panels about an inch or two and try to section it at the highest point you can so it will save you a bunch of work.

In the resto world, this is usually done with the glass and interior removed and with braces welded in to keep the door openings from moving, and cross braces to maintain the width. X2 if you have to remove the roof inner structure.

Subframes for sure.

All that said, I had T tops installed in my Capri back in 81, with it sitting on the wheels, in one day.

Also search on here for people who have installed t top roofs on other cars.

Yeah I took a wire brush and torch to my donor roof tonight and found all the spot welds on the pillars. I Cant wait to start, now its time to tear down the car. I'm taking out the engine and everything. And yeah Pearlnotch I have a spot weld drill bit and just bought more grinding disks. I'm going to drill the welds on the doner roof from the inside and on the car the outside. I'm also going to buy a spot welder I found one for $200 I figure I can use it for other projects. Thanks for the info! And yeah rd I'm going on winter break next week and I'm going to take all that out. Thanks