Anyone got a Mac Straight Shot 85mm Mass Air system????

bwagzz

May 21, 2005
I was just wondering if anyone out there has purchased one of these, and is it worth the money. It claims to add 22+horsepower over the stock system. The cheapest I can find is about $270 so I just want to know from the people that have it if it is worth it. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

no not at all... Cold air intakes are really not much of a power mod on NA cars. Get a blower and its a different story. Anyhow, They do add a little bit if you get a good one, i suggest a densecharger.
i think they recently changed their name to demolet-----> demolet.com.
but Stay away from any of the metal kits if you want any actual gain, not just bling. also, what are your other mods? Because you can probably get alot more bang for your buck modwise. gears or a short throw are always a good start. 410s are the way to go if you plan on staying NA, 373s maybe for a FI car.

I had a 85mm straight shot system and then put a densecharger on and will not look back. The straight shot looks good but performs nowhere near as good as the densecharger. I wish I had took the advice that I had got to start with and bought the densecharger first cause I would have an extra $280 in my pocket. Bottom line, if you want bling go with the straight shot but if you want power go with the densecharger. You'll be glad you did. Demolet actually dynoed a densecharger with the dragon plenum and 75mm tb and gained 20+ hp on a stock 03 GT.

turboscrew said:
I had a 85mm straight shot system and then put a densecharger on and will not look back. The straight shot looks good but performs nowhere near as good as the densecharger. I wish I had took the advice that I had got to start with and bought the densecharger first cause I would have an extra $280 in my pocket. Bottom line, if you want bling go with the straight shot but if you want power go with the densecharger. You'll be glad you did. Demolet actually dynoed a densecharger with the dragon plenum and 75mm tb and gained 20+ hp on a stock 03 GT.

:jaw: wow that puts my MAC CAI to shame, i probably should have looked into a denscharger system before dropping money on this piece of bling lol

turboscrew said:
:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :bs: :bs: :bs: :rolleyes:

i've got the Mac straight shot and 85 Mass air flow system along w/an Accufab 75mm plenum and throttle body, both polished, and i just like the looks.. but as for performance, i would probably go w/a different intake other thant he Mac straight shot.. as somebody said, it looks nice.. but it just doesnt perform as well as others.. the looks are the only reasons i'm keeping it on.. i actually thought about swapping the filter out to a K&N filter

Thanks guys. Looks like the densecharger is the best bang for your buck. Just wondering for the guys who have them, does the filter actually go in the fender wall or no??? Also where did you buy yours from. I see it's $179 on partshopper. Thanks

Thanks guys. Looks like the densecharger is the best bang for your buck. Just wondering for the guys who have them, does the filter actually go in the fender wall or no??? Also where did you buy yours from. I see it's $179 on partshopper. Thanks

Yes the filter goes into the fenderwell and actually turns down. Its kind of a pain to get in there but its better with 2 people.

I installed one on my Son's '04 GT, the latest style one with the rubber elbow not the original design. Anyway, it was too short to hook the mass air tube into the filter housing (see the orange circled area in the attached picture below) without moving the air conditioner lines (the yellow circled area) and redrilling the hole where the shield would mount (the green circled area). There were other problems with clearance hitting the strut tower (the red circled area) and the connections of the 2 hoses from the engine to the tube, one of which hit the oil fill tube (the blue circled area).

I called MAC at least every week and sometimes more for over 2 months. I talked to them about it and they kept telling me they would take care of it. After all this time, they finally said they would send me the latest tube redesign of the redesigned version ?? that they had in R&D which was supposed to correct the too short problem and moved the 2 connectors so the hoses from the engine would connect properly. They sent me the exact same tube that I had, so for another few weeks we went back and forth about what to do and finally they said there was nothing they could do. So, now I am stuck with a near $300 system that I cannot possibly use, right? Thankfully, I purchased this from Stangnets PartShopper.com and when I told MAC where I got it they said contact them about it. PartShopper.com made things good by me, even though the fitment issue was never resolved. So, I would beware of fitment issues if they have not corrected them as yet.

hotrodnut said:

I guess this type of stuff happens if you rely on the aftermarket to build your parts for you.

I think it interesting you even tried installing this in the first place. I mean, with your extensive background and all.

:nice:

From now on you'll be staying in your own play pen, Right?