anyone got the mini starter diagram?

jammer84_03

Nov 30, 2003
anyways...i broke my starter. i got a mini starter from a 95 gt laying around and now i got to figure how to wire it. i did the small in a big wire on the s terminal, and i did the big wire on the starter solonoid with the positive cable and the small wire to the opposite side and when i went to hook up the battery it started to do the starter. so now i need a diagram or something. i know one is floating out there somewhere.

• Sponsors (?)

ok...i took a look at frpp's diagram on summit and now i kinda see what i go to do. hte only real question is.... are the solonoids the same? if i the big wire to the same side as the positive and the s wire, and the small wire t othe opposite i should be good to go correct?

ok...i took a look at frpp's diagram on summit and now i kinda see what i go to do. hte only real question is.... are the solonoids the same? if i the big wire to the same side as the positive and the s wire, and the small wire t othe opposite i should be good to go correct?

If my Jammer decoder ring is working, I think you have it. On your OEM fender solenoid: the big starter cable gets moved to the battery lug of the solenoid. And a new wire gets installed to where the big starter cable used to be. This will run to the trigger on the new solenoid.

EDIT: You might find this post helpful.

Good luck.

now how does it get hooked up on the starter. cuz as soon as i touched the positive battery cable the starter kicked. i had both the wires on the s terminal at the starter. do i need to take the big wire thats hooked up with the positive battery cable and run it to where the s terminal is. and just to make it clear, the s terminal is the one where there is a wire comming from the post in an s like shape, correct?

p.s. this is a 95 gt starter not a frpp mini starter

now how does it get hooked up on the starter. cuz as soon as i touched the positive battery cable the starter kicked. i had both the wires on the s terminal at the starter. do i need to take the big wire thats hooked up with the positive battery cable and run it to where the s terminal is. and just to make it clear, the s terminal is the one where there is a wire comming from the post in an s like shape, correct?

p.s. this is a 95 gt starter not a frpp mini starter

After re-reading your opening post and seeing what I think you were saying, I retyped one ambiguous line in post 3 and added a link that might help.

On you old solenoid, only move the big fat starter cable to the battery lug. Leave the S-terminal wire alone (the S-terminal is the small gauge wire - it's just a trigger circuit).

Run a new wire (14 or whatever gauge is recommended) from where the starter cable *used* to be on your fender solenoid. This will go to the trigger terminal on the new solenoid.

At the new starter, connect the old fat starter cable to the common (battery) terminal on the new solenoid. Connect your just-newly-added 14 AWG wire to the S-terminal connector.

ok...i have the terminal at the firewall correctly done. but when i go to hook the battery it sparks and starter starts to spin. do i have it connected wrong at the starter?

do i have the wires hooked wrong on the mini starter. i have the female spade connector on correctly. i think i may have the constant 12v on the wrong terminal at the starter.

on the starter there are two terminals. one that has a blue looking wire that runs from the base of the terminal into the starter, and the other terminal that looks as though it just hooks to the starter solonoid.

right now i have my constant hooked to the one with the wire comming from it. should it be the other way? im assuming the common terminal you were talking about. the big question is, did i fry my starter or anything else when i trying to hook up my power cable.

p.s. i used 12g wire for the small wire

ok...now i did the wire on the starter to the other post and got the battery to hook up without the starter engaging. now the issue i have is that when i try to start the car it just clicks. no starter engagement. im so lost now.

did i fry the starter solonoid?

ok...i replaced the starter solonoid. didnt work, gonna go get the battery checked. i have an optima and it was dead a few days ago so i think it might be fried and not deep cycling

If you have a donor car with a battery you can use for jump starting, that can help narrow things down quickly.

As I recall on a 94-95 starter, there's just two terminals. The battery cable terminal and the S-terminal wire. If they were backwards, the starter would try to crank as soon as the battery is connected and it would be trying to turn the starter via the S-terminal circuit. I would expect this to cause some smoke, and you'd probably know it.

ok... i had the battery tested and charged fully. no change in what is happening.

when i had the big wire (the one attached to the positive terminal at the starter solonoid) attached to the one terminal that had the wire running from it, as soon as it attached the positive to the battery it would spark and the starter would kick on. now i have it attached to the other terminal and it wont do anything. i have the 12guage wire (attached to the other side of the starter solonoid by itself) running to the male spade connector and the wire has the female connector.

am i doing something wrong? my starter solonoid is wired just like the picture shows on the link provided.

tried to jump from my dads truck....didnt work
tried the ignition to the terminal...sparked and clicked... didnt click over the starter

any pics of the back side of the starter so i can compare? is there a ground wire that goes from the starter to the frame or motor

well...problem solved...it was a bad starter, so i just took it back to the original wiring and got my old syle clunker and am using it for now. new starter to come. thanks for your help though hissin50....we had the wiring right just the starter proved to be the wink link